Low drag pressure.

Started by Chris Gatorfan, October 14, 2013, 06:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Gatorfan

I noticed the drag on my Penn 9/0 was still relatively easy to pull when maxed out so i tested it and i am only getting 15.3#. I have never took a reel apart and don't want to mess anything up so i don't know if it has asbestos drags or metal. What do i need to do to fix this issue.
Btw all i have is my phone for internet and it will not let me download or open schematics.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Bunnlevel Sharker

What line? I get 20lbs out of my 3 stack 6/0. My 9/0 pulls around 30lbs
Grayson Lanier

Chris Gatorfan

Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

alantani

the first guess is always spectra that is slipping on the spool, but you don't have that.  you might have a spool that is slipping on the spool shaft.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Chris Gatorfan

I know when i got the reel it was maxed out on drag. Has me thinking that the drags may be compressed. I know it hasn't been used but once i the last 2 months and that was by me on Thursday.
I was also told by a local shop that if it has the asbestos drags that i could give them a good cleaning and then rescour them to bring the drag back up.
The spool is in perfect working condition as of its last go through.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Ron Jones

I would recommend you just get a new 5+1 drag stack. Resurfacing asbestos does indeed work, but HT-100s that are greased with Cals make such a fantastic drag that it is well worth the time, effort and minimal cost. If you really want drag on this reel their are several solutions on here that will let your reel pull down a 2 millennium old sequoia.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Chris Gatorfan

Just a quick thanks to "handy to" for doing such an awesome job on my reel yesterday. I am now getting 34# drag
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Ron Jones

OK,
Somebody has to tell us what they did.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Quote from: Chris Gatorfan on October 18, 2013, 06:46:19 PM
Just a quick thanks to "handy to" for doing such an awesome job on my reel yesterday. I am now getting 34# drag
Who is "handy to " and what did he do to the reel? :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dynamo

Not to hijack the thread, but will a stock 6/0 have a little more drag then a 9/0? Exact same washers, and the 6/0 has a much smaller spool then the 9/0, so the 9/0 spool should be easier to turn, more drag, right? And Makule told me 9/0s cannot have their spool sleeves slipped, the way they're built, can they? (Mr. Tani: you might have a spool that is slipping on the spool shaft.) Both of you guys are masters at this, so I'm confused. . . .

Chris Gatorfan

It is actually "handi2". I dropped my reel off to him yesterday morning. He threw in a new cf drag stack along with an SS gear sleeve and SS dog. We locked her down and tested the drag. Went from 15# to 34#.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Ron Jones

Quote from: Dynamo on October 18, 2013, 08:44:38 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but will a stock 6/0 have a little more drag then a 9/0? Exact same washers, and the 6/0 has a much smaller spool then the 9/0, so the 9/0 spool should be easier to turn, more drag, right? And Makule told me 9/0s cannot have their spool sleeves slipped, the way they're built, can they? (Mr. Tani: you might have a spool that is slipping on the spool shaft.) Both of you guys are masters at this, so I'm confused. . . .

So, I try not to go totally geek on here but it will make things easier. Lets agree that for the purposes of this discussion "drag" is the amount of force measured in pounds required to move the spool of a 6/0h or 9/0 reel with the same drag configuration and the star adjusted to apply the same force on the drag stack. You are correct that the smaller diameter of the 6/0h spool will hold more drag than the 9/0 spool. However, the 9/0 has a lower gear ratio which offsets the 6/0hs spool advantage by 9%. I don't know the diameters of the two spools, but I am willing to bet the 9/0 is more than 9% larger in diameter than the 6/0h. This means that the 6/0 has the advantage, but it won't be much.

Chris,
Sounds like you now have a fantastic reel, I'm happy for you.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Dynamo

Thanks, nice reply. How should a lower gear ration increase drag  :-\?

Ron Jones

Quote from: Dynamo on October 18, 2013, 11:39:23 PM
Thanks, nice reply. How should a lower gear ration increase drag  :-\?

So, again we will use my above definition of drag. Pressure goes from the fish through the line to the spool to the pinion to the main gear. The pinion trys to spin the main gear at a specific ratio. A lower gear ratio presents higher torque to the drag stack, this increased torque causes the drag stack to break free and spin earlier than a higher ratio.

Think of a muscle car "chirping" the tires through the gears off the line. Eventually, the gear ratio gets high enough that the engine can't produce enough power to "chirp" the tires.

I hope that makes sence.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Chris Gatorfan

Thanks Ron. It has been a long time coming for me. I have a 114h also but then on father's day this year my fiancée got me the 115L cause she saw how much i love sharking. Now that the internals are sqared away i can't wait to put her to work. I will post pics as the catching begins, which i hope starts when i go out tomorrow night.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.