Release Reels

Started by JayMak79, October 14, 2013, 09:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayMak79

Hello,

I wanted to get some feedback from the experts  ;D, I am considering picking up a Release Reel, I typically fish Avet and Accurate - so I was wondering if anybody out there has purchased one or used one.  On paper the reel has very impressive specs and a Life Time Warranty...

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Bryan Young

I have an SG that I've been meaning to do a tutorial.  It will be a few weeks before I get to it though.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

JayMak79

That would be awesome, please keep me in the loop.  If you don't mind me asking, what are your initial impressions of the reel?

Bryan Young

The intial reels needed improvement.  The relied upon an AR bearing, but if you have an old one, send it in and they will upgrade it free of charge.  It's a nice reel.  Free-spools great out of the box.  Drag is really high and I haven't seen a bad pinion bearing yet.  I think they are using a thrust bearing or something.  Cannot wait to see what they are doing. 

Please be patient.  I have about 10 reels and 3 Penn custom builds before I get to that tutorial.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bnz

I like my first SG so much I bought a second.  They have pretty much replaced my old Accurate Boss 197s, which I still like using too.  The SG has performed flawlessly for me thus far.  Started out doing some jigging with it in up to 300' with up to 7 oz jigs.  No probs.  Then switched to using it from the kayak on 20-30 lb red drum:

I found I had to back off the drag so that these 20-30 lb fish could actually pull line against the reel without just winching them straight in. :)  Then I decided to take one on my GOM trip this fall and try it out jigging some blackfin tuna.  Well, after numerous blackfin and one 60 lb yellowfin tuna that decided it wanted my jig I can tell you that this little reel has performed flawlessly and totally won me over.

BMITCH

Bnz, love the last bloody deck picture. Where was that action?
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

bnz

GOM.  Fishing aboard the Scat Cat out of Port Aransas, TX.  It's a trip my wife and I have made the past two years.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

nice! are you the same bnz on 360tuna.com? thanks for sharing...

BMITCH

Bnz, thanks for the reply. I checked that boat out briefly. Looks nice! Any input on the trips would be helpful. Maybe for another thread though. Let's not hijack this one. Or if you like PM me. I'm always intrested in different locals for fishing and I'm really intrested in gulf fishing. Let's just say its on the bucket list ;) :D
Bob
luck is the residue of design.