Avet EXW50 vs Tiagra?

Started by Dynamo, October 15, 2013, 03:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dynamo

Yes, I know, there've been literally hundreds of these threads, but I feel not one of them has answered my questions well. I know you guys can help me. Here are the questions I'd like answered.
1. Gear strength: Charkbait claims the Tiagra gears are small and weak compared to the competition, but I've never seen or heard of a gear failure. What do you guys think?
2. Plastic parts: the Tiagra has quite a few plastic parts and is very complicated, but it seems to be very reliable based on what I've seen. What do you think?
3. Drag strength and capability: obviously out of the box, the Avet wins on the drag numbers. But how much could they take before failure, you think?
4. Smoothness: which one is smoother, free spool, lever, etcetera?
5. Longetivity: In your experience, which one wins?
6. Which is more robust?
7. Two speed changes: which is smoother, more reliable, and easier?
I would be using this reel on the beach and mostly, the pier. My trips would be sparse so I would be heavily servicing them after every trip. I love Avets so far but I can find Tiagras for a lower price, so I am thus considering them as well......Internationals no. Alutecnos reels are too finicky and expensive. Thanks in advance, everybody!!

Bunnlevel Sharker

I would go with a tiagra, louder clicker and I like shimano better. I don't know what the chark bait guys deal is, he had a falling out with JB to
Grayson Lanier

Dynamo

Do you by any chance have experience with both reels? The smaller Avets are really different compared the larger/big game series......

Dynamo

Has anybody used both of the reels? And I've heard that Tiagras initially have a loud clicker, but a lot of use will wear the clicker plate out. Can anybody verify this?

Bunnlevel Sharker

Quote from: Dynamo on October 16, 2013, 07:33:29 PM
Do you by any chance have experience with both reels? The smaller Avets are really different compared the larger/big game series......
Yes I do. Do you? And the tiagra has a nice loud growling clicker, drag isnt everything
Grayson Lanier

Dynamo

jonathan.han

Both clicker systems have their deficiencies. The Avet can bend the retaining cam on the clicker plunger or the retiaining pin can fall out completely. The Tiagra can wear to a point where it is "quieter" or strip out the clicker ratchet screws from excessive vibration from the "growling" clicker. Basically, buy whichever one you can find the better deal on. Things break and wear out when you're on fish that are putting a beating on it. Mechanical means it will eventually have mechanical failures. As far as cranking power, they're about same. If you have trouble, change the handle or arm or both.
raw instinct

Dynamo

Both clicker systems have their deficiencies. The Avet can bend the retaining cam on the clicker plunger or the retiaining pin can fall out completely.

Thanks for replying, I never knew that!

Bunnlevel Sharker

Avets main problem with clickers is it's quiet, on a fast run there not even that loud. A shark alarm would be a good investment either way. Accurates, now that's a clicker!
Grayson Lanier

jonathan.han

They are loud enough. Honestly, I don't like to let anyone within 10ft. of me knowing I am hooked up when I'm fishing off my boat. I just listen for the line rushing out when fishing conditions get crowded or when I'm fishing in the fog. Now, if I'm trolling or whenever there's a need to have a clicker to cut through background noise, I've never really had a problem with clickers not being loud enough except for a few reels. However, most of those issues can be fixed easily. It all boils down to preference. Any reel in this class of reel does not have a clicker that's too quiet. There's loud, louder, and loudest; they're all loud.

Drags are everything. Clickers are the starter pistol, drags finish the race.
raw instinct

Dynamo

Clicker loudness isn't what I'm concerned about, I'm looking for general reliability. Which would you consider to have a better drag, (not talking about drag numbers!), or are they equal you think? I would be greasing the drags on the Avet, and I would regrease the tiagra as well.

Bunnlevel Sharker

Honestly after swing both in 30 size in action I say tiagra. Just seemed to handle it better and run smoother
Grayson Lanier

Dynamo

Thanks for the info, everybody!