Two for Two at Duxbury - Sat 10/12

Started by Bigeye, October 15, 2013, 04:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigeye

Launched from SF with my buddy's boat Keith (another whalerman). We got two fish. Mine was 28# and his a 12#. My fish got hooked a bit south of the can on a Black/Pear Apex, down 60' in 80' water, was a great fight. His hit half way between the can and rocky point, on clear RSK with Herring 50' down.

Water was quite nice, and we called it the day around 1:30.

Jad

Dynamo

saltydog

Boy that and a couple cedar planks and a few cold ones. Great fish.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bigeye

Saltydog,

This fat one went into the smoker Sunday.

I had a great salmon season this year.  Limited most days fishing solo.  Most fish over 20 pounds, with the biggest at 31 pounds.

Of course, I give a lot of credit to Alan, as he upgraded the drags on all of my reels.  Caught this one with a Shimano Charters Special.

Remember that around here in California we're only allowed to fish these salmon with barbless hooks.  So the fights could get quite intense, especially fishing solo in a rocking ocean.

Jad

Dominick

Good job Bigeye.  Did you fish all the way to the buoy at Duxbury?  If I remember right the depth is around 80 feet and holds pretty steady.  Most of the fish I've caught was between 35 and 45 feet.  Does that still hold true?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bigeye

Quote from: Pescachaser on October 16, 2013, 12:43:55 AM
Good job Bigeye.  Did you fish all the way to the buoy at Duxbury?  If I remember right the depth is around 80 feet and holds pretty steady.  Most of the fish I've caught was between 35 and 45 feet.  Does that still hold true?  Dominick

Pescachaser,

Most of the day we trolled on all sides of the buoy, but stayed within a half mile.  You are right, the depth is around 80 feet in the area.  I think people troll different depths, with a major preference toward the 35' to 45'.  I have a preference for trolling deep for salmon.  I was at 60 feet in 80 feet of water.  I have caught them deeper than 150 feet and closer to 200' on the outside.  Plus I have the theory that the big fat ones like to hang out in the deep (gravity, haha) as well as colder water.

BonitaBch

Bonita Beach, FL

saltydog

I sure do miss fresh salmon but I have flounder and crappie to keep me busy, and a few tuna and sharks. ;D ;D
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

wallacewt

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Quote from: Bigeye on October 16, 2013, 01:15:37 AM
Quote from: Pescachaser on October 16, 2013, 12:43:55 AM

Pescachaser,

Most of the day we trolled on all sides of the buoy, but stayed within a half mile.  You are right, the depth is around 80 feet in the area.  I think people troll different depths, with a major preference toward the 35' to 45'.  I have a preference for trolling deep for salmon.  I was at 60 feet in 80 feet of water.  I have caught them deeper than 150 feet and closer to 200' on the outside.  Plus I have the theory that the big fat ones like to hang out in the deep (gravity, haha) as well as colder water.
Bigeye:  I was pretty successful at the 35' to 45' and always meant to go deeper.  I never did while out there.  I did fish in Washington and there they let the downriggers out to the bottom and then hike it up a couple of turns.  Of course that only works in an area where the depth is constant.  Oh well next time.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Newell Nut

Very nice fish. One of my favorites for the table.

kmstorm64

Nice Fish!  GF, Aunt, Uncle and I went out on a charter out of Emeryville in September, slow day but out of 6 fish  for the boat we got 3 of them.  GF and I got each got 12 pounders.  I keep hoping to break into the 20 + club.  Mine was not far from Duxbury.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!