Jacked up JM

Started by Bunnlevel Sharker, October 16, 2013, 12:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunnlevel Sharker

what upgrades would yall recomend for a jigmaster if it was gonna be used for king mackerel fishing? It will need smooth drag at lower ranges, and good gears would be a plus so i can also use it to cast shark baits
Grayson Lanier

DaBigOno

I would recommend the whole works!   A Tiburon frame, SS Sleeve kit, D-Dog, 5+1 drag Kit, 4:1 steel gear, SS bridge, SS yoke, SS eccentric, Newell aluminum spool, and a SS arm and Kolekar handle or a 24-56.

Keep us posted with some pics of your project.

Alohaz
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

broschro

the 24-49 looks a tad biger.with all the good's u will be good to go on just about anything that swims ;D

BMITCH

Quote from: Dabigono on October 16, 2013, 01:15:08 PM
I would recommend the whole works!   A Tiburon frame, SS Sleeve kit, D-Dog, 5+1 drag Kit, 4:1 steel gear, SS bridge, SS yoke, SS eccentric, Newell aluminum spool, and a SS arm and Kolekar handle or a 24-56.

Alohaz

Where do you get the SS yoke,bridge and eccentric?
luck is the residue of design.

Black Pearl

Quote from: BMITCH on October 16, 2013, 02:21:03 PM
Quote from: Dabigono on October 16, 2013, 01:15:08 PM

Alohaz

Where do you get the SS yoke,bridge and eccentric?

I think Smooth Drag carries the SS yoke for the JigMaster 500.

broschro

Dawn dose have the yoke.

saltydog

But on the other hand if you just use 20# you don't have to do a thing but fish it, but hey upgrading then increases the horsepower you can put on fish and the line you use. I have a couple of upgraded 500's and they all work great but one point to remember on king mackerel is don't put the drag too high or you will pull a lot of hooks, as with most mackerel.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

BMITCH

Thanks guys, I knew about the SS yoke through Dawn. The real question should have been where to get the SS bridge and eccentric?
luck is the residue of design.

alantani

not available that i know of.......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

saltydog

The bridge is chromed over brass, looks ss but isn't
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Bunnlevel Sharker

Quote from: saltydog on October 16, 2013, 03:45:25 PM
But on the other hand if you just use 20# you don't have to do a thing but fish it, but hey upgrading then increases the horsepower you can put on fish and the line you use. I have a couple of upgraded 500's and they all work great but one point to remember on king mackerel is don't put the drag too high or you will pull a lot of hooks, as with most mackerel.
Yeah I know all about that, that's why I asked for the smooth drag at low range. My fighting drag is usually the same as when it's on the rail waiting for a bite
Grayson Lanier

Dynamo

But on the other hand if you just use 20# you don't have to do a thing but fish it

Good suggestion, but be careful about keeping the line out of the crack between the side plate and spool. My Jigmaster and Levelwinds all had this problem. 30 lb mono is thick enough for the Jigmaster, and I think with a SS gear sleeve the reel could produce enough drag #s for 30 lb test. I know you hate Avets, but an Avet MXL would be perfect for what you want it to do. Double the money, but worth every penny.

DaBigOno

The SS bridge and eccentric jack was custom made by a buddy of mine who worked at a metal shop.  He is retired now, but I might be able to have him make more.  The only thing you'll have to do is drill and install a pin for the dog and spring.

I'm sure there's gotta be somebody on this forum that works with metals who can fabricate things for us, re-chrome and/or anodize parts.

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Bunnlevel Sharker

Dynamo, I dot hate avet. I just can't justify one, and I don't like small ones. I already have an lx I want something dependable day in and out
Grayson Lanier

Dynamo

I understand. The Avets do require servicing. A larger Sealine casting reel would do what you want it to do very well, and additionally would perform well surfcasting.