Bryan's 5+1 500 series

Started by Newell Nut, October 16, 2013, 02:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

Test Equipment: Newell 540 3.2 with Tiburon Frame, Seeker 8' 30 to 80 class jigging and live bait rod, 60 lb Momoi Diamond, SDJ knot to scale, scale connected to a 40 lb dumbbell.
Bryan's metal washers and my own cut .6mm CF washers.

I started out with a comfortable pull of 20 lb and a good load on the rod. This was not difficult to pull off the reel with one wrap around my hand, just trying to get the feel for on the boat setting.
A little more on the star and I pulled 30 lb and decided to stop since this was not intended to be a rod test. At this point a double wrap on my hand was very hard to get line off the reel.
Decided to do straight pulls with no flex in the rod with a little more on the star. I hit 40 on the scale and stopped pulling. No drag slippage at all.
Backed off the star and got set at 22 lb. Ran 50' runs from the dumbbell with rod straight and the line peeled off smooth with 4 runs. Tightened it back up and did the vertical lift to 30 lb again and then did horizontal pulls that were a smooth release and no failure but did not run on this but walked. Tightened it up and got 40 again. Backed off and ran again at 20 and no issues.

Test Passed in my opinion.

A newell 540 3.2 has a larger spool spindle than a 540 5.5. I would not recommend pushing the 5.5 to 40 but it may take it. I just don't know. The heavier 3.2 can handle it just fine.

Newell Nut

In the previous post I cautioned against trying the heavy test with a 4.6 or 5.5 spool since the spindle is thinner than a 3.2 but I wanted to know SO I tested it.

Reel: Newell S533 5.5 with Tiburon NK kit and Bryan's 5+1 stack drags, 40 lb momoi diamond with San Diego Jam knot with 3 wraps.
Rod: Custom Stroker by Witch Doctor Tackle

The dumbbell was turned correctly so you can see I had a full 40 lb drag test with no slippage. I backed off the drag and pulled across the yard with rod horizontal at 30 lb of drag and it was smooth.
I disassembled the reel after the test and found everything normal. I taped the mono down and spun the spool and it ran for 45 seconds so no damage to the spindle.

Newells can be tanks too. The NK will hold 270 yds of 40 lb mono.

Bryan, I used your thin washer on top instead of the recommended stock washer just to make sure I cleared the side plate on assembly. Worked great.

Don't try this at home. It is already done for you so load and fish.
Dwight

ErnieK

wow, that's certainly an improvement over the ~14lbs that I could get with lightly greased carbon drag washers out of my 533.  Interesting about using the thin washer on top.  I used the stock thick one and like bryan said, when the drag is fully backed off, the stack rubs on the cover.  Is there any downside to leaving approximately 1/8 turn on the drag stack during storage?

Tunacious

Thanks for testing this out Newell Nut! :o

Did you get about the same spin time (45 seconds) before testing?

How close to buttoned down were you?

Was the test done with the stock graphite 533-5.5 spool or did you use an aluminum 440-5:1/533-5.5 spool?

Bryan Young

Thanks Dwight.  Wow, that looks amazing and scary at the same time.  Carrying 40# when using 40# test line....  Maybe I'm too consertative.

Quote from: ErnieK on October 22, 2013, 04:20:21 PM
wow, that's certainly an improvement over the ~14lbs that I could get with lightly greased carbon drag washers out of my 533.  Interesting about using the thin washer on top.  I used the stock thick one and like bryan said, when the drag is fully backed off, the stack rubs on the cover.  Is there any downside to leaving approximately 1/8 turn on the drag stack during storage?
With the the new Carbontex material, there is no down side with leaving drag on a bit.  It will keep moisture out of your drag stack.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

Quote from: Tunacious on October 22, 2013, 06:39:47 PM
Thanks for testing this out Newell Nut! :o

Did you get about the same spin time (45 seconds) before testing?

How close to buttoned down were you?

Was the test done with the stock graphite 533-5.5 spool or did you use an aluminum 440-5:1/533-5.5 spool?
I got the same spin time before the test. The Tiburon NK kit comes with a narrow aluminum spool. I tested my 631 stock and got the same results with a 7+1 stack so really no issue on the graphite spool with a 631. I just did not have anyone around to take pictures at the time.

Once everything was assembled I realized that I could have used a thick top washer. I agree with Bryan on leaving a little tension on the CF drag system. No need to back it off completely.

Tunacious

Of course :-[...the narrow kit comes with an aluminum spool.

How tight was the star on the 533 when you were at 40#'s? Was it near buttoned down?

Re the 631. You tried the 7+1 drag set and didn't get more than 40#'s? Not that anyone would need to.... ;D  I'm just curious as to why you wouldn't get a few more #'s with 2 additional washers.

Newell Nut

There was star left on the 533 and the 631 and I was not trying to find the max. I felt that If I could pick up a 40 lb dumbbell then I was satisfied. If you want to find the max then give it a try. ;) My goal is to improve without equipment destruction and I was successful.

The thing that amazed me the most today is that the SDJ with 3 wraps did not break on 40 lb line with a 40 lb weight.

Tunacious

That's great to hear that you weren't maxed out on the drags of either reel! I think the single line SDJ knot is one of the strongest. Worked great on your 3 wrapped 40#! No, I don't wish to max out any reel....thank you ;), that's why it's good to hear that you weren't buttoned down on either reel!

With your Tib'd out narrow 533 and the upgraded drag system, you pretty much have a bullet proof reel. I'd add an aluminum handle also to be on the safe side. How much does the reel now weigh?

Newell Nut

I replaced all of my graphite handles last year. I just put the 533 on the scale and loaded with line it weighs 23 5/8 oz. I like that it comes with double SS AR dogs and SS gear. I can't any more to it except a SS gear sleeve but if I don't fish it maxed out it should be just fine.

Tunacious

Thanks. Yup, sounds like you've got a bulletproof reel there. a 100# BFT mixed in with schoolies isn't going to ruin your day!

Now....we've gotta find a way to 2-speed 'em!!!

BonitaBch

Newell Nut, great job on the post and very impressive reel.
Bonita Beach, FL

Newell Nut

Too bad Carl is not around to see the potential of his design with new technology added.