Okuma Cavalla and Titus one and the same

Started by Felton, April 05, 2010, 03:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Felton

New guy here.

I got a deal on a new Cavalla off of ebay a couple months ago. Last night I pulled it apart. Today I was looking at Alans tutorials and realized the Titas Gold II and the Cavalla are the same reel. there are some differences. I am sure the cavalla is built out of better parts but the design is the same. The cavalla has helical-cut gears and of course the tiburon handle but that looks like the only difference. So what do you think. Good? Bad? Indifferent?

Thanks Alan for all tutorials.

alantani

better reel, for sure, but i've never seen the inside of one.  got a camera?  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Felton

I took some but they didn't turn out very good. My camera sucks gotta get new one. I don't even know if you can tell from the pics.

I didn't take it apart any further because I don't have cal's grease for the drag and I have not taken any reels apart other than ambassadors

alantani

yup, it's the same. is the silent anti-reverse working properly?

Felton

Yeah that think is a pain to get lined up. So I read somewhere that someone had poblems with this drag. Should I be worry about this reel?

alantani

check with okuma to make sure you have greased carbon fiber.  you should already.  alan

Felton

Yup greased carbon drag.

QuoteSo I read somewhere that someone had poblems with this drag.
I meant problems with the titus drag.

JGB

Just noticed this post.

The Titus series of reels have a evolving drag. Here is the history As best as I can recall:

Early drags were thick white canvas ungreased and prone to sticking -Must be upgraded
Next came the black canvas glued to a metal backing plate - must be upgraded
Next was Carbontex glued to a metal plate ungreased - needs to be greased
Next was Carbontex backed by a thin canvas pad ungreased - needs to be greased

If your reel has carbontex then grease it for problem free performance.
If you do not have cabontex the drag is a time bomb waiting to lock up on a big fish.

FYI the Cavalla series is the Tiburon reviewed Titus Gold and sports hard anodizing, greased bearings, frame screws that are lubed and coarser pitch (rolling change), greased carbontex drags and improved 9 ball bearing in the left spool position and of coarse the Tiburon angled Tbar handle.

Jim N.