Penn 320 gti vs. gt2 vs. ?

Started by floating doc, October 17, 2013, 01:13:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

floating doc

I'm going to start taking my 9 year old son bottom fishing. We'll be going out of Daytona or New Smyrna area of the Florida east coast. I want to set him up with a level line reel. I'm thinking that for long-term use, it's hard to beat one of the 320 gt reels.

I've been advised to avoid the Chinese-made gt2. It's harder to find the older gti reel, unless I buy a used one, and I've got enough unfinished projects as it is. Are the two reels comparable? Alan doesn't mention any concerns about the imports on the instructional thread for them.

I've also thought about a Sealine 47H. I like the old Sealine reels, I've caught a lot of fish on my 50H, and own three others up to a 900H. They need drag upgrades, but they're pretty good reels otherwise. I'm just concerned about the availability of parts. The Penns will still be serviceable when he's an adult. That factor has also kept me from considering an Okuma.

So what about it? Is the 320 gt2 an okay reel?
Central Florida

Ron Jones

The new reels are absolutly fine for what you recomend. Their are parts that go back and forth but I'm not sure exactly what they are.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

coonhound

Not a whole bunch of LW options, but I do like the Penn Fathoms ($200) and Squalls ($120).  Daiwa makes the Seagate and Sealine, but I'm partial to the Fathoms.  I think it would last a good while, too.

Penn Fathom Level Wind
Penn Squall Level Wind
Daiwa Seagate Level Wind

Ron Jones

Sorry, just to clarify. The new reels are the GT2s, the older reels are the GTis.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

floating doc

Thanks for the replies.  Of course the reel will be opened up to grease the drag washers, etc. I have read some comments on this forum about the Chinese Penns being less resistant to corrosion.
Central Florida

Ron Jones

You know, at the same time, I've read here that the Chinese rings are made of stainless as opposed to chromed brass. If the reel is cared for I'm sure your son will be fine. When he grows out of the level-wind, these things scream.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

George4741

Doc, the earliest 320gt2's were made in the USA.  My wife has one.  So, if you see one on ebay, don't automatically assume it was made in China.  You might want to ask the seller.

Quote from: floating doc on October 17, 2013, 01:13:31 AM
So what about it? Is the 320 gt2 an okay reel?
Yes, her US made gt2 is very ok.

George
viurem lliures o morirem

floating doc

I picked up a GTi last night on eBay.  I didn't want a.used reel, but I found one that appeared very clean and was claimed to have been used once then sent back to Penn for service.  There was an invoice shown for replacing the level line assembly and new drag assembly.

It will be interesting to see how well greased the reel is after going through the service at Penn. I expect that I will still need to add some Cal's to the drag washers.
Central Florida