Best practices for splicing, top shots, and wind on leaders

Started by JayMak79, October 17, 2013, 01:45:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayMak79

Hello, just looking to survey some people on the methods they use for constructing hollow core splices

alantani

i just use 6 feet of 27 pound single strand wire and bend it in half.  it's great for splices and hollowcore loops!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

day0ne

David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Bunnlevel Sharker

google Basil Papas. hes a master if there ever was one. Most of my experience is no needle with heavy mono, i use a 24in long piece of 61lb wire that has been bent in half, then run it up 5-6ft then work it out. then just inchworm it in, and backbraid the top loop
Grayson Lanier

Normslanding

Wire, or Daho needles. I find the most used needle is the smallest Daho reverse latch needle.

SoCalAngler

For connections I like a loop to loop, the fastest way to change toppers, after you have the topshots made. Then they are other connections, in no special order, Sato crimp, serve, nail nub knot, reverse Albright knot and some even use a overhand knot....not me though.

Ron Jones

For non hollow braid I have become a big fan of the Yucatan knot. Easy and strong. I usually tie my mono on with it and use surgeon's loops to connect floro leaders. That has worked for me for ever with fly rods and it seems to work just as well with bigger gear.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

JayMak79

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all the great responses!!! I have another inquiry, what is everyone's preferred method for gluing the serve?  Do you glue the spliced area then apply the serve, or apply the serve then glue the serve itself, or combine the methods together and glue the spliced area, serve, and then glue the serve?  Also what is your preferred adhesive? JB 2 step glue, Loctite 406, Zap a Gap, or something else?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

alantani

i don't use glue at all.  i figure if the knot is going to give, glue will not help. 

JayMak79

Hi Alan,

Interesting, I see that Basil uses glue on his wind-ons do you feel it provides no advantage?

Bunnlevel Sharker

I do a bowstring serve then a little glue on the very tip of the braid for no frazel. If u glue to much it defeats the finger trap
Grayson Lanier

alantani

Quote from: JayMak79 on October 18, 2013, 01:32:40 AM
Hi Alan,

Interesting, I see that Basil uses glue on his wind-ons do you feel it provides no advantage?

i'm a fatalist!   ;D

Ron Jones

As I understand it, the glue is to keep the served line together. If the glue doesn't contact either braid or mono you should be good.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

maxpowers

The spider hitch is also very strong and easy enough to tie in a hurry...

RockyMtnKurt

I find a little heat on the wrap ends has eliminated the need for glue on my setups.