What is your favorite knot for making a doubled line in solid braid?

Started by JayMak79, October 18, 2013, 12:56:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayMak79

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering what everyone's favorite knot was for tying a double in solid braid, I have used a bimini twist (75 turns), the Roy Rose knot (aka 8 turn surgeons knot), and a doubled over nail knot where I double the line then back wind it 8 turns over a loop pulling needle and then pull the line through the coils.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

aus bass

Quote from: broschro on October 18, 2013, 01:30:56 AM
I like the Double uin knot

Double Uni knot is for joining leaders to braid. Uless the Double Uin knot is different altogether.

Personally i use a 50 turn bimini. easy to tie with braid and good holding power.
The greatest lie a reel repairer ever told was "yes dear this is a customers reel".

Strewth

Bimini with a minimum of 50 turns, and a 7-turn rizzuto finish. Also pull hard on the loop afterwards with a finger ring to bed it down before tying any connections.

Ron Jones

I've done just fine up to 60" test with a surgeons loop with an extra pass. I tied just a regular surgeons loop for years and years until someone told me I was doing it wrong.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

broschro

Quote from: aus bass on October 18, 2013, 01:42:45 AM
I thought that's what he was asking sorry.

Double Uni knot is for joining leaders to braid. Uless the Double Uin knot is different altogether.

Personally i use a 50 turn bimini. easy to tie with braid and good holding power.

Bunnlevel Sharker

8 turn surgeon or 15 wrap spider hitch......I'll be bailin fish while everyone else is doin biminis!
Grayson Lanier

Ron Jones

I've never tried an 8 turn surgeons, doesn't seem like it would slide together. Got to try that one.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bunnlevel Sharker

Grayson Lanier

day0ne

First choice is to splice a section of hollow braid on to the solid. Way second choice is a surgeons knot with extra turns.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

day0ne

Quote from: broschro on October 18, 2013, 03:18:21 AM
Quote from: aus bass on October 18, 2013, 01:42:45 AM
I thought that's what he was asking sorry.

You can make a double line with a double uni. Cut a piece of line, double it and use it to tie one side of the double uni. Hope that makes sense. I can't find a picture. It can be a bit bulky.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

erikpowell

I saltwater fish regularly, jigging & popping with 30-100lb braid... a couple boats worth of us around here use 30 turn biminis.
Mostly because some guru and i can't remember who, wrote an article that said 29 turns was optimal. It spread through the shop.
We all just add an extra turn for good measure  ;D

proven for us for catching gt's, doggies, wahoo, tuna, and aj's... basically anything we catch regularly in fiji..

I'd learn an entirely different knot if i had to count to 75..geez  ;)

wallacewt

Bryan Young

20 turn bimini followed by 20 turn bimini in the opposite direction for 50# on up.

10 turn bimini followed by 10 turn bimini in the opposite direction for up to 50#.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D