545/541 yoke

Started by maxpowers, October 18, 2013, 04:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxpowers

Hi everyone,

After several hours of tearing the 541 reel apart and putting it back together I realized why the Penn 113 Yoke will not work properly in the 545/541 reel.  The problem is that the arms on the yoke in the OEM are "higher (approximately 3-4 mm)" relative to the screw holes vs the Penn 113 Yoke.  This caused the eccentric jack to not work properly when using the 113 and the pinion gear does not always engaged the main gear.  Luckily the OEM yoke is SS so it should last a while but if you need replacement, let's hope Ken still have some lying around or find a really good machinist friend to cut you some.

Alto Mare

Maxpowers, any chance of you showing me a shot of the two yokes? Thanks! Sal
Never mind found it!....
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

maxpowers

Sal,

The 541/545 yoke is a cross between the penn 500 yoke and the 113 yoke.  The arms of the 500 lined up correctly but the curvature is too small to fit the pinion.  I suppose if push come to shove, we could file down the 500 yoke..

Alto Mare

I just checked and the 12-500 is 1/16" smaller at that area, everything else is the same.
thanks for bringing it to my attention Maxpowers. Btw, did you try softening the edge ( top and bottom ) where the tabs from the Jack ride, on the 12-60? There is a chance that it might work.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

maxpowers

Sal,

I haven't done it as the existing yoke is still in good condition.  I was looking to replace everything from Dawn's 113 gear kit in the 541 but the yoke did not work correctly.  For now I will just use the OEM yoke until it no longer function correctly.  At that time I will either do what you suggest or attempt to file down the Penn 500 yoke.

Keta

If I had one to measure I can get them cut.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

I haven't tried it either, just putting it out there. I do not have the 545 to test. This isn't the first I hear of a Pro Gear having issues with the yoke :-\.

maxpowers

Lee,

I could take out the yoke and send it to you for making the measurement and cutting.  There must be quite a few progear 541s/545s out there that probably need replacement yoke at some point.

Keta

How thick is it?  I'll check my material.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

maxpowers

It is the same thickness as the 113 yoke.  If you have a penn 500 yoke then it is like the 500 yoke with the exception that the curve for the pinion need to be 113 size.  I hope you understand what I am trying to describe.

Alto Mare

The material you used for the 12-60 was .97mm and it is still working nicely, the stock is 1.2mm. That might also be a good option for the pro gear.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 20, 2013, 01:33:32 AM
The material you used for the 12-60 was .97mm and it is still working nicely, the stock is 1.2mm. That might also be a good option for the pro gear.

I have a 2'X2' piece I bought for the 12-60 project.

Quote from: maxpowers on October 20, 2013, 01:31:51 AM
It is the same thickness as the 113 yoke.  If you have a penn 500 yoke then it is like the 500 yoke with the exception that the curve for the pinion need to be 113 size.  I hope you understand what I am trying to describe.

The red part?

Mark Twain

maxpowers

Lee,

Yeah it's would be the red curve transferred over to the 500 yoke

Keta

Quote from: maxpowers on October 20, 2013, 03:08:37 AM
Lee,

Yeah it's would be the red curve transferred over to the 500 yoke

Got it, I have to go to town tomorrow and I'll get the parts and make a drawing.

Mark Twain

Keta

Like this?  How many do you want?

Mark Twain