Lure recomendations

Started by Ron Jones, October 18, 2013, 07:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction, I fish the Leeward coast of Oahu and am really getting tired of losing gear. I cast a 12 ft Penn Torque rod with a Diawa DF-100. Over here we can wade out a hundred yards or more in some places and I have gotten to the point I have good distance with this rig. For those from Hawaii I whip with a rig that most people would put in a rod holder.

I am tired of going swimming for gear in the reef. The reef is everywhere and if you hit bottom you have to go after it. I can toss a three ounce swim bait and if I get on the retrieve right now I can normally get the bait back without a fight, but I would prefer something that would allow a slower presentation.

Is their a big (+3 oz) saltwater diving bait that will stay deep but will float when I stop the retrieve? If I was bass fishing I would have a million options but I have never seen anything big enough to use with this rod.

Thanks
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

I would use poppers and floating surface lures.  Fish will come up.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

philaroman

1)  I may have a couple big shallow divers for ya': discontinued 9" Rapala & 8" Matzuo, I think(?) -- never-used impulse purchase.  don't know the weight, off hand, but you could probably add a decent chunk of lead & they'd still float...  If I ever dig 'em out, I'll post 'em up & PM you.

2)  check Duel -- better JDM version of Yo-Zuri w/ more variety:

http://www.duel.co.jp/english/products/lineup/d_saltwater

...site seems to be down, now  ???   if you bargain-shop, beware of fraud (Duel has a link showing some common fakes)

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"