Just bought my first Penn 113H, 4/0 Special Senator!!!!

Started by sundaytrucka, October 19, 2013, 06:40:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundaytrucka

Really excited about the pick up!!! I have been pawn shop hunting as of late, and today found a decent looking Made in USA Penn 113H, with a closed top (top bar) Tiburon frame and spool, and decided to make the purchase. They had the Penn for sale at $60, I offered $40 and it was mine. Great deal just based on the frame upgrade already present.

Got home, and thanks to the this site, ripped the reel apart and was very pleased to find 4.1:1 stainless steel main and pinion gears, and SS pinion yoke.

Going to do the usual upgrades of carbontex drag washers, SS gear sleeve, SS dog, and maybe the bearings. 

Question:

I was looking at Alto Mare's post about adding a double dog to the 113H, and in taking mine apart it appears there is already a manufacturer made cut-out for an additional dog on the opposite side??? I will try and post pictures if I am not explaining it clearly and you do not understand what I am talking about.

I am very happy with my purchase and feel I got a great deal (the posts on this site are what sold me on looking at buying this reel for my reel arsenal). Going to be used as my 40-50# live bait and yo-yo jigging reel.

Thanks, Scott. 
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Ron Jones

You have a late model plate that is designed for both right and left hand retrieve reels. Sal has a post somewhere on here about double dogging that plate, basically you are half way there. I would make sure you have 4:1 gears and not stainless 3.2:1, not that either aren't very nice.

Great score on that reel.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

You did very good for yourself but be careful, eventually you will spend what you have saved on this one and more ;D.
Yes, I'm showing that plate on the second page by the "Tank", but that was a while back.
There are better options now, you could try installing a pin as I'm showing here:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7864.msg70238#msg70238
click on the pictures and at the bottom corner, so you can really take a closer look. Don't get discouraged, this is actually very easy to do and the most effective.
Good luck! Any questions..... just ask!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Newell Nut

You got a great deal and now in serious trouble. I caught Pennitis from Sal. It is a very contagious disease so lock your wallet in a safe.

sundaytrucka

Thank you for the info Ron. I am left handed, but began fishing with my right, have fished that way ever since; kind of helps having my strong arm hold the rod anyway.

Thank you for that Sal!!! I will definitely be asking for help as needed. I really appreciate the help offered on the site and how open and willing everyone is to share their knowledge with others. I have had the reel for one day thus far, and already have a list of upgrades going...I see what you guys mean about this being addicting. I will be attempting the double-dog upgrade when I get to ordering the other SS upgrades and 5-1 drag washers.

Question: Can anybody tell me if this is the narrow or standard size Tiburon frame and spool kit (not familiar with 4/0 Penns)? If the picture does not load, the measurement from inner steel ring to inner steel ring is 2.5 inches. Thanks, Scott.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

agree with ron. i have the same one.  "reely" good buy or should i say steal... ;D

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=8544.0

Bunnlevel Sharker

Give me a few min and I will get the measurements. If the gears are 3:2.1 and you don't want them, we could probably arrange a trade
Grayson Lanier

Cone

Scott, you have a standard width frame. Listen to Newell Nut it is addicting. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Cone on October 20, 2013, 01:53:24 AM
Scott, you have a standard width frame. Listen to Newell Nut it is addicting. Bob

x2 measured mine last night...

sundaytrucka

Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on October 20, 2013, 01:46:02 AM
Give me a few min and I will get the measurements. If the gears are 3:2.1 and you don't want them, we could probably arrange a trade

I'm pretty sure they are 4:1; I am going by a mark on the spool and counting how many times it goes around for every one full turn of the handle, getting four revolutions as a result.

Thank you for the info on the frame width. It seems like a fairly narrow width frame to begin with, bigger reel but a taller spool more than wide (I was expecting a standard 4/0 to be wider), really like the size.

**I know what mechanical upgrades I am going with, SS gear sleeve, SS dog X2, drags/washers, but what about the cosmetic???

Looking to remove the harness lugs (do not like harness lugs), and install a metal plate that sits flush with the frame. Plate will be cut flush to the frame, and have the spool curve ground into the bottom so it will not hit the spool. Planning on painting the plates as close a match to the Tiburon frame as possible.

Also looking at painting the star, spool release lever, and clicker or left bearing cap black as well.

**When I do purchase the SS gear sleeve and dogs, where or who should I obtain them from? Going to get drag upgrade from smooth drag or go with HT-100.

-Scott

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

scott, SS sleeve (fine or coarse thread) Alan T. SS dogs Keta...why not add the 2nd gen 6/0 handle from Alan T....

broschro

It would relay look nice with black powder coated rings and hardware  8)

sundaytrucka

Thank you for the info Mel B. Is Keta a person on the site or an on-line retailer?

I will be purchasing the sleeve from Alan, just waiting on buying because I may buy a 113HLW from the same pawn shop.

Do you guys think the 113HLW can fish 80# topshot without hesitation, or is it more of a 60# reel?

Powder coating would look really good and may be the same price as getting a couple cans of quality spray paint, considering the size and amount of items I would be having painted. Also, spray paint may provide too thick of a coating and cause fitment issues.

*I am down to upgrade the handle in the future. A $50 handle upgrade is out of my budget right now, internal upgrades come first.

Cone

Keta is one of the moderators here. His real name is Lee.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD