Just bought my first Penn 113H, 4/0 Special Senator!!!!

Started by sundaytrucka, October 19, 2013, 06:40:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunnlevel Sharker

you could run 800yds of 80lb solid braid to an 80lb mono topper and be set for 90% of anything you will hook
Grayson Lanier

sundaytrucka

Thank you for the info on Lee, Bob.  Thanks for the info on the 113HLW Bunnlevel Sharker, I am leaning toward getting the HLW.

Do they sell a SS bridge for the 113H anywhere?
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Cone

Unfortunately no. Or at least I don't know of anyone offering a stainless steel bridge.
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: sundaytrucka on October 22, 2013, 03:24:04 AM
Thank you for the info on Lee, Bob.  Thanks for the info on the 113HLW Bunnlevel Sharker, I am leaning toward getting the HLW.

Do they sell a SS bridge for the 113H anywhere?

my 2 cents you don't need a SS bridge. it's thick enough. what i want to do is find a way to brace the bridge's screw heads with SS sheet metal.

Dynamo

Great deal! You're going to fish that reel for a long time.

sundaytrucka

Picked up the matching 113HLW from the same pawn shop, came with 4:1 SS gears too, pretty sure both reels were sold/pawned by the same guy.

Ordered one set of SS dogs from Lee, once they arrive I will post pictures of my Double-Dog installation, and need for help/instruction.

*Debating whether or not to buy a third 113H(for a narrow frame setup), or just buy a "yellowtail special" frame/spool and switch out the HLW and "YS" frames as needed. I know, getting ahead of myself...I am in the "reel world" now.

Shark Hunter

You can sink a lot of coin in those little reels. Sounds like you are on your way! ;D
Life is Good!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Sunday or you can buy socalangler's pro gear YTS.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7512.0

sundaytrucka

Received the SS dogs from Lee, and going to attempt the double-dog installation in the next couple of days; will post up some pictures, especially if I get stuck somewhere. I am going to use a hand file to fit the groove to the dog, would that be a waste of time, should I just source/borrow a dremel?

Question: I am going to install the second dog within the altered groove for the left handed dog setup. Should I stick with the standard spring on the second dog, or go with a "strip of metal" spring that some have posted as an alternative to the standard spring?

Thanks for any input.

Bryan Young

Quote from: sundaytrucka on October 29, 2013, 07:59:57 PM
Received the SS dogs from Lee, and going to attempt the double-dog installation in the next couple of days; will post up some pictures, especially if I get stuck somewhere. I am going to use a hand file to fit the groove to the dog, would that be a waste of time, should I just source/borrow a dremel?

Question: I am going to install the second dog within the altered groove for the left handed dog setup. Should I stick with the standard spring on the second dog, or go with a "strip of metal" spring that some have posted as an alternative to the standard spring?

Thanks for any input.

Either works, but I like the coil spring better...no reason.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Quote from: sundaytrucka on October 29, 2013, 07:59:57 PM

Thanks for any input.
Just take your time Trucka. Make sure and not go too deep. You can pick up a cheap dremel at harbor freight. I don't think I would try it with a file. I just used the regular springs, They seem to work fine.

Life is Good!

sundaytrucka

Thanks for the heads up, I picked up an inexpensive dremel at Harbor Freight.

Ok, here is a theoretical dog spring installation I have been thinking of the past couple of days. Excuse my bad drawing and penmanship.

1. Shows stock dog.
2. Shows angled side of dog ground down.
3. Slits are cut into dog, where the stock spring will slide into slits and connect to the dog.
4. Shows dog, w/slits and applied spring.

The plate is ground down where the second dog is to be applied, but less is dremeled off, due to the dog itself being ground down. Then, a "hole" or cavity is dremeled into the side of the already dremeled plate lip, just large enough so the spring will sit and be anchored within. The dog is installed as normal, but the spring action against the dog is reactionary with the slit position upon the dog and cavity within the frame lip. Calls for less material removal of the plate itself, and therefore should offer a spring that is nearly fully covered by the bridge and supported within the cavity.

Just a theoretical idea, but what do you guys think? Don't make fun of my drawings...haha.

Shark Hunter

We are always intrigued by new ideas. I prefer to keep it simple. I just copied Sal's work the best I could.
Sounds like you are putting a lot of thought into it. Can't wait to see your results! ;)
Life is Good!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 30, 2013, 09:07:55 AM
We are always intrigued by new ideas. I prefer to keep it simple. I just copied Sal's work the best I could.
Sounds like you are putting a lot of thought into it. Can't wait to see your results! ;)

me too!

sundaytrucka

Thanks for the positive thoughts. Turned out way better then I expected, working perfectly thus far!!!

Notes: When cutting the slits for the spring to fit the dog, the dog itself is too wide for the spring to fit. So when the slits are cut, the face sides of the dog, where the spring connects, will have to be ground down as well so the spring will fit over the "stub". Also, I practiced on the brass dog before hacking up a SS dog, and I will be cutting off less of the dog than I did with the brass one (will narrow the gap between dog and side plate); which will require me to cut the spring so it does not overly compress and bow when set in place.

Pic 1: Is the stock side plate.

Pic 2: Is the side plate after being dremeled and the stock dog I cut. Looking at fitment, everything worked, I could have dremeled slightly less off the plate, and cut slightly less of the dog, but that is purely gap aesthetics, it does not affect function or integrity. (That is why I did the first attempt with the stock brass dog, before attempting it on the SS dogs from Lee.

Pic 3: The dog with the spring attached, and the spring sunk into the cavity I dremeled out for the spring.

Pic 4 & 5: Shows the bridge fully installed over the spring and an attempt to show the up and down action of the working dog.