Just bought my first Penn 113H, 4/0 Special Senator!!!!

Started by sundaytrucka, October 19, 2013, 06:40:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Not too shabby Sunday! That's a new way to do it. My only concern is the spring. It looks awful short already. What do you think guys?
Life is Good!

Cone

Nice job! Someone drilled a hole in a dog and put the spring in it. I can't remember which post though. I copied someone else and grind a post for the spring and another in the side plate to capture the spring. I say use what works for you.  ;)   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Shark Hunter

Well said Bob! I will remember that one. Use what works for you! ;)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Very nice Job Sundaytrucka, the plate that you've used isn't easy to do a double dog on. Very creative, now turn that dog into a stainless steel dog;).
Thanks for sharing your idea with us.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sundaytrucka

Thanks for the input and reception. I am no expert, just had an idea in my head and had to do it. I would have went stir-crazy thinking about would it have worked or not; works fine, but time will tell. If it were to fail for some reason, I could still revert to Sal's process of attaching the second dog, being that I did not dremel off that much of the plate.

The spring in the picture is stock, it has not been altered or cut-down; being in the cavity and slightly compressed with the dog installed makes it look smaller. No noticeable pressure/resistance on the handle turning, so I am happy with the outcome. All the posts and threads are what inspired me to go for it.

I will post more pictures when both of the SS dogs are installed. Now it's time for the SS gear sleeve and another set of SS dogs for my 113HLW.
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

john2244

sundaytrucka

Having some troubles, probably due to not having the correct tools, but how do you remove the ball bearing on the right side plate and from the left bearing cap screw?

Just pry the rings out until it frees them?

Thanks, Scott.

Ron Jones

Search bearing puller on this forum. Their are some home made solutions and some very elegant comercial offerings.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

sundaytrucka

Quote from: noyb72 on November 07, 2013, 07:01:11 PM
Search bearing puller on this forum. Their are some home made solutions and some very elegant comercial offerings.
Ron

Thanks for the info Ron. I am going to attempt to retro fit a homemade version, my needs at present do not justify spending $100+ on a bearing puller; as much as I want to need one.

wallacewt