What are your favorite fishing pliers?

Started by floating doc, October 22, 2013, 01:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

floating doc

I've been thinking about buying some new pliers. I would like some feedback on preferences of the members.

Lets do this: group them by cheap, mid-priced, and "who cares, they're the best" pricing. I'll let you decide what the ranges are for each category. For some, cheap is anything under $100, for others expensive is anything over $50, so just have a go.

For me, I've been using a non-traditional pair for year, and they've served me well. I have used needle-nosed vice grips in the smaller size (I think they're 9 inches). 

They are great for hook removal, the cutters work well on mono and will cut braid until they get worn. They hold up surprisingly well in salt water use, but I have always rinsed them with my tackle and left them out to dry. An occasional shot of your favorite anti-corrosion spray (not WD-40) goes a long way. $15, not counting the sheath.
Central Florida

Bunnlevel Sharker

A set of the BPS XPS pliers. Super light weight and sharp as sin
Grayson Lanier

floating doc

First reply! BPS XPS pliers are $29.99 on their website.
Central Florida

Dynamo

For me, any old set of heavy duty pliers w. wire cutters works for me. I clean it out and oil it after every trip, so it lasts alright.

Bunnlevel Sharker

Browning pliers are nice but kinda pricy for me
Grayson Lanier

Dynamo

Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on October 22, 2013, 04:59:25 PM
Browning pliers are nice but kinda pricy for me
Yeah, its kinda hard for me to spend a lot of money for a set of pliers :-\. I'd be much happier putting that cash towards reels and rods, line, terminal tackle, bait, etcetera. Cheap pliers work well enough w. some care and oil.

An occasional shot of your favorite anti-corrosion spray (not WD-40) goes a long way.

Shucks, whats long w. WD-40 ???? Its what I use, and I've never had an issue. A guy I know even sprays it on his bait for "good luck" ::). I think thats going a bit too far.

Ron Jones

I have two sets of the Rapalla pliers that come with a set of stats. The line cutter doesn't get dull and the tip will actually hold a split ring open. They are a little flexier than I'd like but they are long and thin.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

VW

Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on October 22, 2013, 02:05:02 PM

Are the cutting blades replaceable?

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

kmstorm64

Harbopr frieght long reach needle nose for those times when they swallow the damn thing.  and regular cheap needle nose for everything else.  a Set of Xuron split ring pliers are a god send when changing out hooks or split rings(Still made in America in Good Old Maine). 

http://www.amazon.com/Xuron-496-Split-Ring-Plier/dp/B000BL6OZ8
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

Bunnlevel Sharker

Quote from: VW on November 13, 2013, 06:25:49 PM
Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on October 22, 2013, 02:05:02 PM

Are the cutting blades replaceable?
Im pretty sure i will check my set tommorow
Grayson Lanier

floating doc

Good discussion.  It's interesting how much the members focus on the value to be obtained from inexpensive tools. I am topped out with my budget for toys right now so I'm going to stick with my old standard: needle nose vice grips.
Central Florida

seaeagle2

I'm in the same boat, I had a pair of the Rapala stainless pliers that came in a set with a filet knife,  they lasted several years but I had to hit them with PB Blaster every so often to free them up. Now they're toast and I was thinking about getting some Harbor Freight pliers, but I just leave them in the rocket launcher at the stern and I'm concerned about them becoming a blob of rust..... As  far as the quality of Harbor Freight handtools, the plating on the last Craftsman tool I bought is peeling off in big patches and it mostly just sits in my tool box at home, while the HF handtools that rattle around in my work truck tool box are holding up fine.....
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Shark Hunter

These are the cats meow when it comes to Sharkin'
http://www.harborfreight.com/15-inch-long-reach-locking-pliers-97609.html
I haven't had to use the vise grips yet, but these are the longest needle nose I could find and they work pretty good. You just have to keep them lubed up. The finish can't stand up to the salt. They are invaluable with smaller sharpnoses and other toothy fish. You have to break out the dehooker to get circles out of a Bigger sharks jawbone.
http://www.harborfreight.com/16-inch-long-reach-pliers-set-38598.html
Life is Good!

alantani

Quote from: floating doc on November 14, 2013, 03:49:37 AM
Good discussion.  It's interesting how much the members focus on the value to be obtained from inexpensive tools. I am topped out with my budget for toys right now so I'm going to stick with my old standard: needle nose vice grips.

and my favorite spinning reel is a $19.95 daiwa sweepfire!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!