Oct 21st Tuna/Tile Fish Trip!

Started by jiggingworld, October 23, 2013, 02:04:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jiggingworld

Our 2 day North Carolina AJ jigging trip canceled due to bad weather, so I jumped on Mike Jung's 24 hour Tuna/Tile fish charter trip on Oct 21st.
We only had 17 anglers include my nephew. He like to eat fish but don't like fishing at all. Since he is helping my tackle business, I wanted him experience offshore fishing.

We left dock around 8:00pm. weather was great, by 2:00am we arrived Washington canon and started fishing. fishing was very slow, only saw a baby mako(released) and big Blue shark. I only jigged for 30 minutes and went sleep. I admire some guys fishing all night even they did not mark any tuna at all.

once sun come up, we moved to tile fish ground, it was slow too. only saw few golden tile fish caught.. moved  to deeper water, same story, very slow.
Capt moved different spot again by noon, I started jigging with 400g jig, 1 cast 1 fish, even My newbie nephew got 6 tile fish on jigging..  
It was great trip, great weather, meet a lot of old fishing friends,,,

Yong.

saltydog

Great looking fish and that's how it all begins, take em fishing and if they get the bug watch out.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

maxpowers

Nice tile fish..These fish look a lot like our ocean whitefish here in Southern California and Mexican waters.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

If that is indeed a whitefish it is a big ol' whitefish!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

maxpowers

Ron,

The ocean whitefish can get to a good size in Mexico.

Ron Jones

I've seen them as big as a few pounds on 3/4 days to Mexican waters but nothing that size. Bet it eats great.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

conchydong

When I came from Florida to San Diego for my first long range trip and caught a Ocean Whitefish, I became curious as they do resemble our East Coast Tile fish, especially the Blueline tiles. I researched a little and did confirm that the Ocean Whitefish is indeed a member of the Tilefish family. I think they prefer a little shallower depth than their East Coast cousins.

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?ID=3539&genusname=Caulolatilus&speciesname=princeps