FISHING GLOVES?

Started by LTM, October 23, 2013, 06:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

That's why I like these Iron Clad ones. They don't seem to retain any Stink. I'm telling ya, these are the Bomb!
Life is Good!

LTM

Thanx guys for your feedback. I'll look into those dedicated "angler's" gloves to see if the price is right. I need some protection for my hands which have been abused from years of work and chemicals. I was also thinking of modifying a pair of "jet-ski/water skiing" gloves (which I've done in the past). I never thought of using any mode of "Mechanix" glove, however I'll look into that as well. Thanx for jumpstarting my thoughts.

Leo

cathauler65

Toughest gloves I've been able to find are by Lindy. Not cheap but seriously made for the job if you are dealing with sharp hooks/teeth/spines & gill covers:

http://www.lindyfishingtackle.com/productdetail.aspx?id=lindyfishhandlingglove

LTM

Guys,

Im looking for a glove that I can wear the whole time while actively fishing. Thats why I mentioned the pair of modified (cut finger tips) jet ski gloves.  Something I can get bait from the bait wells, throw jigs with, all around fishing use, not specifically fish handling.  The Lindy glove and others are great fish handling but my interest is all around use like tying knots to casting to fighting a big fish.  Please keep the comments coming, its a big help.

Leo

day0ne

As noted, there are several reasons for gloves. I wear them for finger protection from spectra, thus the fingerless type won't work for me. I have a set of Aftco Short Pump gloves that I love but they are fingerless and leave my left thumb exposed, which I want protected. BTW, I usually only wear one glove unless I have a rough handle on my reel.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_11151_10001_39568_-1?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=39568&cid=sc_googlepla&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CJzN3Kbbs7oCFU8V7Aodk2gAhg

http://www.meltontackle.com/products/bluefever-short-pump-glove.html
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

saltydog

I use a good set of reinforced mechanics gloves, and bring a few sets.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

cathauler65

For general heavy duty fishing use, snug fitting construction gloves will be ideal.

I've got some by Youngstown in (synthetic?) leather that are great to avoid blisters and the like if actively working heavy gear for long periods - jigging etc.

Make sure they fit nice esp at ends of fingers, no good at all having that flat flapping bit at the ends of your fingers if using for long periods!

erikpowell

Bula,

If you're looking for a glove to handle anything that swims, these are the best around. Only problem is they grow legs  ;D ;D
they'll handle any nasty scutes or spines from GT's and rockfish to sharks as well as fending off sharp hooks & wire leader.

they're not the cheapest... at $25 a hand, but very very effective.

It's more of a release glove, not one you'd be casting or fishing with... for that I just use a good 3/4 finger mountain biking glove.
i don't like having my casting finger gloved..that's why i carry bandage tape for later in the day  ;D

Bunnlevel Sharker

I wish they made a set of fingerless with a thumb and index finger, be perfect for jigging and casting
Grayson Lanier

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on October 27, 2013, 03:35:36 AM
I wish they made a set of fingerless with a thumb and index finger, be perfect for jigging and casting
Get some scissors and snip them off, just make sure you're not wearing them at that time. ::) ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Nuvole

Quote from: Keta on October 24, 2013, 12:41:53 AM
I have a habit of loosing gloves on a boat so I use plastic coated lycra gardening gloves most of the time. Wells Lamont #456 are the ones I prefer.

I use something similar, while cheap & thin, they have good grip.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 27, 2013, 03:42:14 AM
Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on October 27, 2013, 03:35:36 AM
Get some scissors and snip them off, just make sure you're not wearing them at that time. ::) ;D

i like this one LOL!

Bunnlevel Sharker

I like the idea to, I still find myself using full gloves cause I always handline sharks up for everyone
Grayson Lanier

LTM

Heres the link to the video I mentioned where the anglers are GT fishng wearing what looks like some excellent fishing gloves:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6283.0  The specific gloves in question are the navy blue gloves worn by at least two of the anglers, one being the angler who is doing some of the moderating wearing the navy blue "Garmin" fishing visor. I would appreciate any specific info as to the name brand/model and the durability and dexterity of these gloves that would assist me in getting a pair. I dont mind if I have to cut some fingers and do some hemming to the cut edges to modify the gloves for my needs.

Leo

floating doc

ebay has really good prices on the Aftco gloves. I just picked up the bluefever short pump half finger gloves:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170957562725?var=470224730707&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648
Central Florida