Ultramag XL1 and Ultramag Plus 1

Started by Ferd, October 23, 2013, 02:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferd

I posted this awhile back so forgive me. Has anyone done any tutorials for these reels? I have tried to clean these reels, but I am afraid to open them without some guide. Too many small parts! I may have to send them to a pro, but I would still like to try it myself. Thanks.

alantani

it's pretty hectic right now.  can you post up a link to a schematic? if you can, i will take a look. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ferd

This is from the Abu Garcia website. It is for the older Ultramag plus. But I think the Ultramag XL1 and plus are almost identical. Thanks so much.

Tim

alantani

got it!  it's actually straight in and straight out.  the only thing to watch is the position of the anti-reverse pawl.  it has to grab the ratchet gear properly. 

Ferd

The biggest problem I am having is actually removing the right hand side plate. I am afraid to pull on it much as there are several small springs that I would probably lose if the reel blew up as I was pulling it apart. Thanks for your help.

Ken_D

Hi. Unsure if your model uses a very small e-clip, and a copper shim, inside the cast cap. If it does, carefully remove the clip, save the shim, and the side plate ought to come away no incidents. (After you pull the handle, star, spacers.)

You might want to explore a safe way: a big zip-loc bag used to place the reel into, so if the clip flies away, it's still in the bag, instead of low earth orbit landing in the shag carpet, never to be seen again, but heard when the vacuum cleaner power nozzle picks it up. ZZZZT.......... ;D.

Ferd

Snagged2

Everytime I lose a part that flies away to somewhere awful,,,I think that I really need to clean up my shop area.. I never do, and usually find the hiding part...usually... ;D.

Ferd

Thank you all for your help. I was finally able to get uo the nerve to open one of these reels up. What a mess! Not sure how long it has been since it got a good cleaning, but it has one now. Probably not up to some standards, but certainly much better than it was . I can't wait now to try it out. Thanks again.

alantani

Ferd

No, I didn't replace anything yet. I haven't figured out what parts to replace, so just gave it a good scrub.  Thanks.