Any Duel Shortcomings as far as You're aware?

Started by Dynamo, October 23, 2013, 06:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dynamo

I'm interested in a Duel, eventually, they seem like great reels and are hailed as them over the web. But I've heard of the rubber seals rotting and the drag attached to the spool coming apart, (resulting in having to buy another spool). Are these problems legitimate? Are you guys aware of any problems in the Duel reel series? I cannot find any drag numbers over the web either. I'm interested in the 6/0 size, possibly 4/0, and 12/0. What do you people think, pros and cons? Do they last?

Dynamo

Here's the problem w. the washers:

I have a number of older Duel 6/0 reels. These older reels have a multistack drag with two of these CF Rings with stainless drag washers between. Unfortunately the lugs around the circumference tend to break off.  These older CF rings are not made by the manufacturer any more. I could buy a new spool for each reel but that is an expensive option which I hope not to have to pull from up my sleeve.

Dynamo

Here's another complaint:

good to hear , some have suggested that they are not good reels, I think they had problems with the old spool design, hopefully those problems are behind them with the new spool( the drag is part of the spool).

Taken off the hull truth.

Robert Janssen

Have you done a search right here on the forum?

One of our members is working on some of these right now.

Dynamo

Which member, and where? I wanted to know whether the spool design on the reels have been fixed, and whether they need to be fixed. Do the rubber sealing rings rot? I mentioned i couldn't find much info on the web. This site counts as the web. . . .Thanks for your help.

Dynamo

Perhaps you're talking about the thread "How Hot do Drags Get?". If so, yes, he was working on the Duel 6/0 reels, but I feel the thread was more centered on how hot drags get, and if the epoxy he had would melt because of the temperature. Sorry, I couldn't find any answers to my questions there I'm afraid.

Robert Janssen

The same member has posted about making replacement drag washers, thereby working around the question of old drag vs new spool.

Member Redsetta has written a long and detailed photographic exposé on this site.

There is a picture of the new and improved drag washers on the Duel website.

In one of your early posts you say that you already own some of them, which leads the reader to wonder why you are asking. Until one realizes that the text has been cut & pasted from another author, which means you've seen their post already.

Sorry for any confusion; can't help.

Dynamo

Well I'm sorry if I've led others to believe I own them, I don't. Heres a copy and paste from an earlier post.

I'm interested in a Duel, eventually, they seem like great reels and are hailed as them over the web. But I've heard of the rubber seals rotting and the drag attached to the spool coming apart, (resulting in having to buy another spool). Are these problems legitimate?

You can see I eventually would like one, which means I don't right now, I'm afraid. I've gotten the excerpts from the Hull truth, (I stated in another earlier post), and I trust the experience from this site's people better. I was asking for confirmation, you see. That's all. Wish I could have gotten the info you speak of, thank you a lot for helping me out. And no need to apologize, I'm sorry, I should have been more clear.

Bunnlevel Sharker

Here's the problem, you'd be better of investing in a penn/avet/okuma or a kayak for the amounts fishing to do unless you have a pile of cash. When I was younger, my nicest reel was a penn 4/0
Grayson Lanier

Dynamo

Probably better off now, but notice I said down the road. I think Duels are neat, and if the apparent problems are not real problems, I would be willing to invest the cash. Really if you think about it, If comfort wasn't an issue, wouldn't everybody be fishing beat up old factory rods and Senators? But they're not, because people want things that are aesthetic, and are pleasing to them. That's not the only reason people fish "gold" reels, but it is a reason. When I was younger my nicest reel was a cheap Daiwa spinner combo. My starter combo was 20 bucks from Wally-world. I know what its like to have a limited budget.

Dynamo

Mr. Janssen, I looked all over the Duel website and couldn't find anything about the new drag assembly.

locknut

Gidday I am replacing some of these washers at the moment.  Yes the keys on the drag CF rings break off. I have used the keyed washer that sits on the springs as a pattern and had a bunch of washers Laser cut from 304 S/S 0.9mm thick you need two per reel. I have bought some Carbontex from dawn at Smoooth drag and will use JB Weld epoxy (Thanks Robert) to glue the Carbon fibre to the S/S. You need to work out the finished thickness the drag stack needs to be then use the appropriate thickness Carbontex  3 pieces to end up with the correct over all thickness of the new drag stack.

This fix overcomers the loss of free spool you will have with the older Duels as the CF rings swell up with oils and grease. As far as other problems with the Duels make sure the gear box is full of oil it has to be correct type I use power steering oil from my Sea Star boat steering. Use the wrong one and it eats the  bearing seals and the gear box will leak.

Drag expectations, the older ones with the uncovered drag stack which have less springs than the newer ones I can with free spool achieve 15kg at strike and 30Kg at sunset from a 6/0. with all the spring holes filled. You might need to get some more springs or get some made. I do not know if this will blow the left side plate off in time as there are only 4  screws holding it on. I suppose I will find out with first decent Broadbill.

Be careful not to put too  much Cals grease on the washers, as  the stacked drag washers are  just touching  each other even in free spool, put it on then wipe hard to remove most of it. The original woven washers were dry for this reason.

Another problem that you can get on the older ones is the clicker spring breaking, parts are available though. I have 6/0 and 9/0 reels and in 15 years of fishing have never had a bearing fail so that's a positive.

The best thing about the Duels which you can read about but not appreciate until you use them is the gear changing you cannot beat it, also infinite anti reverse with no noise. They are a very high quality unit but you do need to look after them, but hey why wouldn't you

Bunnlevel Sharker

I love the idea of how duel has the instant gear change, main reason along with the drags that I would get one
Grayson Lanier

Dynamo