Can anybody post a breakdown and tutorial of a Penn Fathom?

Started by sundaytrucka, October 23, 2013, 11:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundaytrucka

I really like the Penn Fathom series line, and wanted to know if anybody could post a re-build in their spare time, or say if there is one in the works.  Seems popular enough to where some guys are going to produce a run of aftermarket SS gears (4.9:1?), and I am sold on them once the gears become available.

Interested in seeing how they tick and hold up to AT standards.

I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

conchydong

sundaytrucka

YEAH!!!!  Thank you!!!

I wonder if Alan gets this excited when he cracks open a reel for the first time. LOL
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Black Pearl

Quote from: sundaytrucka on October 23, 2013, 11:51:52 PM
I really like the Penn Fathom series line, and wanted to know if anybody could post a re-build in their spare time, or say if there is one in the works.  Seems popular enough to where some guys are going to produce a run of aftermarket SS gears (4.9:1?), and I am sold on them once the gears become available.

Interested in seeing how they tick and hold up to AT standards.

It is 4.8:1. Not 4.9:1. That guy will be me... ;)

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

i have the 12 so far so good. and waiting for 4.8:1 gears and yoke. Alan C., can't wait anymore  ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D. btw i only use it for freshwater fishing in the land of "carnaval and samba".

Bryan Young

I was under the impression that Penn made lower gear ratios for that reel that were sold separately.  You may want to check with MysticParts.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Black Pearl

Quote from: Bryan Young on October 24, 2013, 06:29:08 PM
I was under the impression that Penn made lower gear ratios for that reel that were sold separately.  You may want to check with MysticParts.
Penn made a Fathom Levelwind with 4.3:1 ratio, but that gear will not fit the Fathom SD.

Keta

Quote from: Black Pearl on October 24, 2013, 06:51:31 PM

Penn made a Fathom Levelwind with 4.3:1 ratio, but that gear will not fit the Fathom SD.

X2, Alan  is the only source as far as I know. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

wallacewt

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

coonhound

The Versa Gears were rumored to be coming for the Fathoms, but haven't seen them.  Only available for Torques: http://www.pennreels.com/products/accessories/versa-gear-sets

I have 2 Fathoms that I snagged on an accidental 50% Dicks Sporting Goods coupon code  :o.  Powerful, light and so far no issues.  I'll install the BP gears when available and make these even better for grouper digging.

Bryan Young

floating doc

How are these reels holding up? I understand they have an antireverse bearing, but with a dog backup. How effective is this design?
Central Florida

Keta

They have double mechanical dogs but no AR dog springs.  The design looks good though.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain