Line test and true world performance

Started by maxpowers, October 24, 2013, 12:03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Quote from: Tightlines666 on October 24, 2013, 07:31:56 PM
....the North Pacific convergence zone moving eastwards during the first 3 years with the concentration shifting to the NE Pacific in roughly 3.2 years.  (This area is widely known as a seasonal Albacore hotspot). 

That's where I fish for albacore.   
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

Quote from: Keta on October 24, 2013, 09:14:47 PM
Quote from: Tightlines666 on October 24, 2013, 07:31:56 PM
....the North Pacific convergence zone moving eastwards during the first 3 years with the concentration shifting to the NE Pacific in roughly 3.2 years.  (This area is widely known as a seasonal Albacore hotspot). 

That's where I fish for albacore.   

Now you can fish for them at night without lights.   ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Makule

QuoteGiven that most braided lines actually break 20-40% above their stated strength why would anyone fished 130 or even 200 lbs braid other than for abrasion resistance?  I think with most heavy fishing 50 - 80 lbs braids would be more than sufficient to handle 99% of the critters out there.

Aside from abrasion resistance, another aspect is the very thin diameter of the lines.  On very large fish, we sometimes need to pull the line by hand, 80 braid would not only cut the hands, but even gloves.

I have experienced 100 lb mono break on the run.  Given that mono has cushion due to stretch, it is likely that 80 or perhaps 130 braid may break on that same strike.

As far as the 99%, I am more interested in getting that other 1%.  My big reels have 200 braid and 400 leader.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Bunnlevel Sharker

Once you get into 200+ braid, it's like small rope. Good abrasion resistance, in fcct the only PP I use is 200lb+
Grayson Lanier

Keta

I have some 1000lb JB that looks like 1/4" cord.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bunnlevel Sharker

I think I need some of that to spool an everol 18/0 with. Mr.Lee, just curious but what do you use it for?
Grayson Lanier

Keta

Safety harness lanyards and rod leashes.

Mark Twain

Bunnlevel Sharker

Oh ok, I got some skill saw pull cord rope that I use for some different things with fishing, comes in 100ft rolls for about 5-6 bucks. It's good tough stuff
Grayson Lanier

maxpowers

Well I have my first snapped braid today.  I went across the street to the school yard to test cast the splice and surgeon's knot.  Good news was the knot did not hindered my cast at all.  The bad news was i snapped some fairly new tufline xp 65 lbs.  It looked like the line was damaged possibly from oil contamination.  I think I had some grease,etc on my hand when I was handling the top portion of the line and it weakened it.  It was strange as I have been pulling on the reel for the last few weeks to test the drag etc and that weakened section held fine..Check the next 40 feet on braid to see if there was anymore bad section and found none so far.

day0ne

I don't believe oil contamination would bother spectra.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter