carbon drag and brass washers

Started by livinus, October 25, 2013, 10:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snagged2

well, from my POV,, this is helpful, as I just acquired for cleaning and upgrade to carbon drags,, a Mitchell 908,, a little tiny spinning reel that is used with 6# test.. and, it has uncoated brass washers,,, I was concerned about using the carbon drags,,

but, what the heck,, I will install them with Cals grease and let'r rip!!  The owner fo the reel mentioned, that the drags HAD to be smooth!!

Thanks for the info!!

Shark Hunter

Quote from: bluefish69 on October 26, 2013, 02:24:58 AM
I always believed that  Livinus was the little guy in the Charlie Brown Cartoon
lol! :D
That would be Linus! :D :D :D :D
You are a funny Man Bluefish!!! ;D
Life is Good!

bluefish69

I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

saltydog

I used to watch Charlie brown. Well back with the washers, there should be no issues with the carbon fiber drag and any washers you use, been fishing them many years. Now it could be that someone had some really cheap plated washers that were plated poorly. But all that aside I have used very heavy drag setting with no issues.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Shark Hunter

Quote from: saltydog on October 26, 2013, 03:01:24 AM
I used to watch Charlie brown. Well back with the washers, there should be no issues with the carbon fiber drag and any washers you use, been fishing them many years. Now it could be that someone had some really cheap plated washers that were plated poorly. But all that aside I have used very heavy drag setting with no issues.
Real world experience here. When the Veterans Talk, I Listen! ;)
Life is Good!

livinus

Thanks to all for your answers. The vintage reels i use usually have unplated washers. Will order some carbon sheets and Cal grease from internet and give them a try.
Greetings
Livinus
PS I live in Belgium and France