carbon drag and brass washers

Started by livinus, October 25, 2013, 10:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

livinus

Being a collector of vintage reels and rods who also likes to fish with same, I would like to submit this question.
When I need to replace the drag material in older reels, I cut the drags out of teflon (for small reels) or leather. I also clean and polish the metal washers wich are generally made of bronze or brass. All this gives a very smooth drag, but now I want to try the carbon drags.
I have been reading contradictory opinions on the web about the compatability of carbon drags with brass washers. Some say no problem; others state that the carbon drags will chew at the brass washers and render them useless in short order. Who am I to believe?
Greetings
Livinus

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

DaBigOno

Greeting livinus,

I agree with Sal.   You'll be fine with brass washers and carbon fiber drags.

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Bryan Young

As long as you grease your washers with a good teflon grease, no problem at all.

And welcome to our site.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Welcome livinus!
Carbon fiber is the way to go these days.
Life is Good!

Dynamo

"As long as you grease your washers with a good teflon grease, no problem at all."

Yes, but without grease, the carbon fiber will eventually strip the chrome :o. Don't wanna take my word for it? Here's something taken off another site:

"If you up grade to the HT-100's,up grade to stainless backing washers also. Under extreme drag pulling surges,the HT-100's are aggressive & will in time strip the chrome right off the stock backers"

(And to humbugs, I do know this from experience. My fishing experience is not limited to internet surfing ;).)

Shark Hunter

You have some pictures of your Sharks Dynamo?
Life is Good!

Dynamo

Well, for one my photo bucket account is malfunctioning, and I haven't mastered the photo posting thing, anyways. To get back into the topic, have you used chrome washers w. carbon, by any chance? (BTW, my comment about experience was not talking of sharks, anyways. I was noting that what I say on this site is based upon experience, not reading about things read online ;)., that's all)

Keta

Quote from: Dynamo on October 25, 2013, 10:27:21 PM
Well, for one my photo bucket account is malfunctioning, and I haven't mastered the photo posting thing, anyways. To get back into the topic, have you used chrome washers w. carbon, by any chance? (BTW, my comment about experience was not talking of sharks, anyways. I was noting that what I say on this site is based upon experience, not reading about things read online ;)., that's all)

I've never had problems with the unplated brass washers but most of my personal reels have more and thinner SS ones. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dynamo

Very interesting, I believe the problem is more towards the bigger reels, under a lot of drag pressure. Do you mean chrome plated brass or uncoated brass?

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

I have both in my 10,12,14 and 16/0's. Have never had a problem with either one. I think whoever told you that livinus is mistaken.
Life is Good!

Dynamo

Sorry, what do you mean by livinus? The problem becomes evident when under extreme power surges. The drag has to be locked down and the fish burning for chrome strippage to be an issue. The chrome wont strip off by itself because the fabric against it is carbon, the drag has to be moving for the chrome to be abrased by the agressive HT-100's. To test, attach your line to a car, lock the drag down, brace yourself, and command your pal to hit the throttle. For best results, I'd try running the car in bursts. About 15-20 miles per hour. Don't just do it one time, it will take quite a few runs, like alot, to make the chrome strip. Ignore jeering bystanders. If You don't see any metal washer damage or change, you win, and you have gained some new high-drag "practice" :o ;D! Now you have another project, if you decide to do it, please post pics and your results. Happy Halloween ;) ;D!!

Shark Hunter

I think I'll pass on that. I have plenty of projects and this won't be one of them. You say you have a 12/0. won't you try it yourself. I just fish for Big Sharks and I already know what happens. livinus is the guy that started this post.
Life is Good!

bluefish69

I always believed that  Livinus was the little guy in the Charlie Brown Cartoon
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.