Stainless Jigmaster Parts Question

Started by Bucktail, October 26, 2013, 11:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucktail

Other than corrosion resistance, which is not a problem for me as I take very good care of my reels, would there be an advantage to adding a SS gear sleeve, main gear, pinion, etc. if I choose to keep the standard frame and not upgrade to a one piece?

Thanks,
Bob
Just a jig-a-lo

DaBigOno

Bucktail,

I guess it depends on the type of fishing you're doing...

There are advantages with stainless as it provides strength as well as corrosion resistance.   For example, many would agree that a SS sleeve will not round off where the handle arm attaches when you fish with button-down drags.  

As to the gears, I believe that the pinion gear is SS.   As to the main gear, i prefer to use 4:1 gears which are hard to find in stainless, so I try to find the steel gears that penn made in older reels.  

Another advantage that SS offers is the WOW factor.

If you don't go with a frame set, I would recommend using the 2-bars instead of the 4-post, just seems a little more rigid.
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

doradoben

As Dabigono outlined the main reasons are corrosion resistance and strength. If you are going to fish your reels at drag setting they were designed for, they should work very well for you. I have two 501's and two 506's that I fish with 30lb. test or less. The only modification that I've made is a handle change to Penn 24-56 on two of them. If I do any upgrades on these, it will be because the specific part needs replacement.. 

Keta

Brass gears sleeves round out where they go into the handle arm under high load, SS will not do this.  Brass AR dogs wear out faster when used with SS gear sleeves.  Brass gears tend to loos their teeth under high loads, SS and steel gears are far stronger.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bucktail

OK, maybe I didn't word my question correctly.  I get that stainless is more corrosion resistant and stronger.  What I want to know is,  do the SS parts require an aftermarket, one-piece, frame to contain them or will the standard frame work?  Or, put another way, will the multi-piece frame be able to withstand the increased power provided by the SS guts?
Just a jig-a-lo

DaBigOno

Bob,

Sorry for the misunderstanding.  

Your stock frame will work with the stainless steel components if you fish it with 8-10 lbs of drag or less.  

If you're going to push it beyond that, I would recommend getting the frame set because the reel seems to distort/twist under heavier loads, especially with the 4-post setup.  

With that said, all most of my 500's and 501's have SS sleeves, D-dog, and an Accurate or Tiburon frame.

with all due respects to other members,

Here is a comparison of an Accurate framed 500.

and a 4 bar set up.  

I hope this helps.

Keta

Quote from: Bucktail on October 28, 2013, 04:37:31 AM
...... will the multi-piece frame be able to withstand the increased power provided by the SS guts?

Yes, I have several post framed reels with SS gear sleeves and AR dogs.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Quote from: Keta on October 31, 2013, 01:53:26 AM
Quote from: Bucktail on October 28, 2013, 04:37:31 AM
...... will the multi-piece frame be able to withstand the increased power provided by the SS guts?

Yes, I have several post framed reels with SS gear sleeves and AR dogs.
I pushed my jigmaster with bars and brass reel seat plate to 24# without warping. Just make sure your screws are tight and you should be good.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bucktail

Just a jig-a-lo

kmstorm64

Weight:  depending on how you fish weight.  I gave my nephew a Tibron/jigmaster only because I fish from a kayak and jigging that boat anchor was a beast.  I have a another reeel same set up but instead of tibron, it has Newell componets, world of difference.  The internals were/are SS, but the outside is Newell Graphite, which IMHO from a kayak fisherman is a better WTG.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

DaBigOno

You're right about that Kmstorm,

I gotta agree with you about a Newelled out Jigmaster.  Here is a pic of mine that i love to fish.

I guess it boils down to my first comment about "it all depends on the kind of fishing" we're doing.

On a kayak, the Newelled Jigmaster would work out better. 

On a stationary platform, like a boat out of San Diego after Bluefin that are 40 - 70 lbs, I think I'm sticking to a Tib or Accurate framed Jigmaster.

But when it comes to cost, I guess we can't beat the stock 4-post setup.

IMHO

Ron Jones

My only comment is I think the 8-10 pounds is selling the Penn stand short. Especially on a Jigmaster with bars as opposed to posts. Sal has twisted a stand on a Senator @ 25ish pounds and Bryan just mentioned that kind of weight. I'd say 15 pounds is well within the safety margin. That means 40-50 pound line easy and a Jigmaster is only so big so capacity becomes an issue.

Don't get me wrong, I love Newelled reels and aftermarket frames. I have noticed that they make the reel smoother and cast better. This comes from them keeping the reel square I believe, but I don't know that they are necessary on a 500 sized spool. If the reel is a wide spool and has the capacity for 60 pound line then we're getting into the area where an upgrade is more than a nice to have.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

DaBigOno

Quote from: noyb72 on November 21, 2013, 05:46:46 AM

Don't get me wrong, I love Newelled reels and aftermarket frames. I have noticed that they make the reel smoother and cast better. This comes from them keeping the reel square I believe

That's a good point Ron, the Newell, Tiburon or Accurate frame can keep the reel squared which reduces binding or friction making the reel smoother. 

kmstorm64

I like 30-30 combination:  30 Pound P-line  than followed by 30 Pound braid.  The braid gives less drag in the water when trolling from boat or kayak.  Every little difference helps.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

MarkD

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie to site. I'm looking to install a stainless sleeve on my 500s my question is should I also put in a stainless dog ? Thanks.