Stainless Jigmaster Parts Question

Started by Bucktail, October 26, 2013, 11:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

They are cheep, I sell them for $3.00 each,  and Alan sells them as a set with the gear sleeve.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tightlines667

I just finished a jigmaster upgrade and went w/stock gears, Brian's drag stack, and stock sleeve (coarse thread), and upgraded handle arm.  The spool capacity is limited so I chose 30lb mono to maintain capacity.  The reel tested smooth drag at 23lbs, but intention will be to fish it at 10lbs (1/3 line strength), and keep full limited to 15lbs (50%line strength).  The 30 gives you plenty of capacity to maintain retrieval rate and decrease drag performance degradation on a run.  Fishing the drag at less then 50% of max will keep it silky smooth on static, and dynamic, and the larger handle arm/knob increases crankimg power while keeping the reel well within specs.  Total upgrade cost was minimal too.  Also, you can catch a heck of a big fish on 30 w/10-15lbs drag (as long as you have water to work with and don't need to stop him now). 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

DaBigOno

Aloha!.

Welcome to the site Mark, glad to have you here with us.  

I would highly recommend Keta's stainless-steel dogs along with a stainless-steel gear sleeve, purchased separately.

Or you can get it from AlanT who sells them as part of a SS sleeve Kit that comes with a carbon fiber under-gear drag washer.

Or you might want to hold out for a little while for AlanC (Black Pearl) to release his highly anticipated stainless steel upgrades for the 500/501 Jigmasters.

So many options...
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

MarkD

Quote from: Keta on January 26, 2014, 04:21:37 AM
They are cheep, I sell them for $3.00 each,  and Alan sells them as a set with the gear sleeve.

Thanks for your help. I've been contact with Alan.

MarkD

Quote from: Dabigono on January 26, 2014, 04:01:25 PM
Aloha!.

Welcome to the site Mark, glad to have you here with us.  

I would highly recommend Keta's stainless-steel dogs along with a stainless-steel gear sleeve, purchased separately.

Or you can get it from AlanT who sells them as part of a SS sleeve Kit that comes with a carbon fiber under-gear drag washer.

Or you might want to hold out for a little while for AlanC (Black Pearl) to release his highly anticipated stainless steel upgrades for the 500/501 Jigmasters.

So many options...

Thanks for the info, I'll have to keep and eye out for the AlanC upgrades.

otghoyt

Hey...I'm a newb here as well.  All the guys offer pertinent information.  Thighlines666 was perfectly accurate with his dissertation.  If there is a cost consideration then purpose and performance need to be calculated into the reasoning of what next and why.  I really like what I saw a guy blog about Jigmasters...If you were stuck on an island with new and old fishing equipment the Jigmaster would be the last to fail.

I, personally, like the fact that the Jigmaster is super versatile by changing spools quickly.  It takes three times as long to rig terminal tackle as it takes to change a spool.  This alone makes this this dinosaur worth any two other reels in my bag. I ditched the other reels and bought 2, 506s.  I maxed out my 500s and 506s with every stainless part made.  5 plate carbon fiber drags. Double dog, power handles, 5 to 1 gears.  By doing this, I really believe, I will I eliminated half the crap I used to haul on a open party boat.  Beyond that I absolutely know without any doubt what-so-ever that my original two 500s will last me another thirty years and my sons will inherit decent fishing equipment when I croak.   

Check out what I did and learned from the other guys on "casting 30# aka confused" somewhere close to this subject title on the main page..

Cant get that on satellite!!! 

WOTHoyt

otghoyt

These 4  Jigmasters and 6 extra spools of various line weights along with the trolling rig is all me and my son need to catch anything a 2.5 day boat can put me on to.  I only hope I could find or afford to find a fish I couldn't catch with these poles. Then my back wouldn't be able to do the job....that's why I bring the kid.  Woof-woof

DaBigOno

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

alantani

Quote from: WOTHoyt on January 31, 2014, 02:19:08 AM
Hey...I'm a newb here as well.  All the guys offer pertinent information.  Thighlines666 was perfectly accurate with his dissertation.  If there is a cost consideration then purpose and performance need to be calculated into the reasoning of what next and why.  I really like what I saw a guy blog about Jigmasters...If you were stuck on an island with new and old fishing equipment the Jigmaster would be the last to fail.

I, personally, like the fact that the Jigmaster is super versatile by changing spools quickly.  It takes three times as long to rig terminal tackle as it takes to change a spool.  This alone makes this this dinosaur worth any two other reels in my bag. I ditched the other reels and bought 2, 506s.  I maxed out my 500s and 506s with every stainless part made.  5 plate carbon fiber drags. Double dog, power handles, 5 to 1 gears.  By doing this, I really believe, I will I eliminated half the crap I used to haul on a open party boat.  Beyond that I absolutely know without any doubt what-so-ever that my original two 500s will last me another thirty years and my sons will inherit decent fishing equipment when I croak.   

Check out what I did and learned from the other guys on "casting 30# aka confused" somewhere close to this subject title on the main page..

Cant get that on satellite!!! 

WOTHoyt

hoyt, finally got the word from the machinist that made the fine thread gear sleeves.  apparently the threads were cut ok, but when he cut the top slot for the handle arm, he use d a bit that was dull and it folded over the first thread.  that's why it was so much trouble.  the machinst fixed them all.  let me know if you want another.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

otghoyt

Thank you very much,  Worked hard on them.  All the guys in here were very helpful.  All the upgrade parts from all the locals in here were top shelf.  At this particular stage of the game, I consider these lifetime rigs.  Meaning they'll outlast me...and quite handily I must admit.  There is one Frankenstein reel in there and as money permits I'll be filling it with the righteous goods too.

I used to have a dozen rods and reels.  Never had a dozen all working at the same time!  I was always wishing I had brought something different with me on a trip or wishing I had left something at home.  I really do believe I have exactly what the doctor ordered with my new/old/new quiver.  I never relied on changing spools to make the adjustment for conditions.  Just grabbed another rig.  I think I'll have my s--t together with this program.

Must have fish....woof woof!!

BMITCH

Hoyt, NICE line up. These will be around loooong after most of us are gone. Thanks for the picture.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

MarkD

Recieved my parts yesterday Alan T, thanks. This was my first rebuild 500S (upgraded to stainless sleeve and dog along with new washers and drags) and I think it turn out pretty good. Reel turns nicely just have to wait for better weather here in NJ to try it out. Here on some pics below. Thanks to everyone here on the site for the great info.

Going to send you another PM Alan T about another reel I want to do.

MarkD

Hello again eveyone, I took apart my 500 and want to install a stainless sleeve and dog in it but the problem I see its not  going to be easy like my 500s . The dog on the 500 is pressed on the bridge where as my 500s I was able to remove a clip pull the dog off and slip the new one and put the clip back in, job done. Can anyone give me some info on how I can put the stainless dog on my 500 bridge. Below is a pic. Thanks for any info.

Irish Jigger

The dog is not pressed on will lift off when you apply solvent to remove the grease that's holding it to the bridge.

MarkD

Quote from: Irish Jigger on February 13, 2014, 09:56:04 AM
The dog is not pressed on will lift off when you apply solvent to remove the grease that's holding it to the bridge.

Thanks will take a look at it.