Look what I got!

Started by Shark Hunter, October 27, 2013, 01:09:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I received a pair of Lee's arms today and I must say, I am impressed! I polished one with some Mother's wheel polish with my Dremel. It only took a few minutes. It is shiny enough for my liking. Lee!, Good Job old Boy!

I put the polished one on a 9/0 and I Like it!

The only thing, The hole for the handle is a larger than the hole required for Alan's Handles. I just put a washer on the screw end and tightened it down with some blue Loc-tite. For the bigger reel applications, you will need to get a handle with a shoulder on the shaft to take up the extra space. The more I think about it (and required by Sal) The screw can snap without the added support.
Eat your heart out guys!
Life is Good!

sundaytrucka

Styling fits the reel perfectly. I like the "brushed metal" look more than chrome. Nice pick up!
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Keta

Ask Alan if he has the other style parts for his handles.  For now I'll drill the arms for the screw.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

I say you leave it the same Lee. If some one want to use different handles, they will need the extra space.
Again, these arms are heavy duty and very nice! ;) Thanks Lee!

I'm going to take that back, Per Sal's request and it makes sense to me. The screw can snap without the added support needed around the handle hole. The Boss is sending my the counterbored spindles for his handles to make these as tough as they look!
Life is Good!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

DaBigOno

Lee does some really nice work!

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Shark Hunter

Just for comparison how rugged these handles look.
Stock 9/0 arm on the left, Fishing reel 079 ss arm, Lee's on the right. Where's the Beef! :)
Life is Good!

mgoose

That's some good looking stuff right there !!

Bryan Young

Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 27, 2013, 01:09:31 AM
Alan has handle shafts that have that countersink instead of flat mating surface ones for these purposes.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Quote from: Bryan Young on October 29, 2013, 09:57:48 PM

Alan has handle shafts that have that countersink instead of flat mating surface ones for these purposes.

Yup, that's the handle I drilled these for.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Bryan Young on October 29, 2013, 09:57:48 PM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 27, 2013, 01:09:31 AM
He is sending me some as we speak. The countersink will be stronger than just a small hole for the screw.
Life is Good!

Keta

For the small handles (112H/500) the screw is plenty strong, any thing larger should use the other handle.

Mark Twain

floating doc

I put one of Alan's handles on my Penn 40 GLS crank arm. I had to drill out the arm a bit to fit the screw. I fish this reel for grouper with a pretty tight drag, ~18-20 pounds. It hadn't occurred to me that the screw might not be up to the torque. Should I be concerned?

Would you recommend I swap out the crank arm or buy a countersink handle? I'm also planning to install them on my wide 4/0, 6/0 and 9/0 Sealines. Comments on that application?

BTW, your 112H crank arm arrived today, and it's wearing one of Alan's grips. It's really nice!
Central Florida

Keta

I wouldn't worry about the screw in anything from a 113 down, for a 114H and up I would consider using only the countersunk ones.

Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Some Closure on this topic. I received the counterbored spindles from the Boss.

"This is how we do it"

Stylin' and Profilin'!
Life is Good!