First HT-100 drag washer upgrade Question

Started by Tate, October 27, 2013, 06:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tate

Guys

Newbie question here.  Working on my first ht-100 drag washer upgrade.  I received various HT-100 drag kits, Cal's, etc. today.  I am upgrading my drag washers in an old 309.  I got the extra ht-100 washer for under the main gear also.  For some reason, my spool isn't turning when I retrieve.  My dog is in correctly.  My eccentric lever and pinion gear are working as expected.  When I move the eccentric to retrieve and turn the handle I get nothing.  The drag is tightened down.  The only thing I see suspicious is the spacing sleeve is almost flush with the plate so the tension washer isn't doing much. 

The other thing I may have messed up on is too much Cal's?  Although I not think so.  The extra ht-100 under the main gear may have Cal's on it and is slipping maybe??

Is this a too much Cal's issue, spacing issue or something else?  Any feedback is appreciated.

Thx

Tate

Shark Hunter

It sounds like your stack is too short Tate. That is my first guess with no pictures. Add a washer or two on top to make it tighter so when you crank the drag down, it will compress the drags. Sounds like they are too loose and tightening it down is doing nothing.
Life is Good!

Tate

Thx SH,  I will give that a try.  I don't think I am getting any pressure on the drag washers at this time. 

Thx

Tate

Shark Hunter

Don't worry about using too much Cal's. I slather mine pretty good. They say not too, but when you are fighting a fish, it pushes all the excess out and I figure it is self greasing the main gear! ;)
Life is Good!

bluefish69

I have a feeling you forgot the Bevelled Washer on top of the Drag Stack. Check the Drawing for details. I haven't seen Penn Reels with fillers like Newell uses.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Shark Hunter

If you are not aware of this Tate, Scott's bait and tackle has schematics of all penn reels on their site.
I use if often, especially when I am trying to find out if different reels can use the same part.
Life is Good!

Bunnlevel Sharker

I hade the same problem with one of my 4/0s, To get enough clearance it has a 4 stack 3 ht-100s one asbestos and a few spacers. Smooth 20lbs of drag
Grayson Lanier

Keta

Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on October 27, 2013, 05:30:17 PM
I hade the same problem with one of my 4/0s, To get enough clearance it has a 4 stack 3 ht-100s one asbestos and a few spacers. Smooth 20lbs of drag

Change it to a 5+1 rather than use spacers. 

I'm getting 32lbs using 7+1 drag stack in a low speed 113N I'm currently playing with.  It has stock Carbontex CF washers, .022" metal washers with a stock keyed washer on top.  I tried some .020" Carbontex washers but could not get a 9+1 stack into the gear.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tate

Update:  I added 2 keyed washers on top of the stack and it is working flawlessly.  Thx for the feedback!  On to my next reel.

Tate

Shark Hunter

Glad it worked out Tate! ;)
I usually have to do that to some of my Senators. The drag upgrade looks good until you put line on the reel and realize it needs an extra washer on the stack.
Life is Good!

Bunnlevel Sharker

I will be getting a 7 stack for my 4/0s soon enough.
Grayson Lanier