Longer power handle vs 2 speed reels poll

Started by maxpowers, October 28, 2013, 11:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxpowers

Quote from: day0ne on October 30, 2013, 04:32:00 AM
Quote from: maxpowers on October 30, 2013, 01:24:22 AM
The reason I asked this is because I like the extra line capacity that the 3/0 and 4/0 have over the typical lever drag 2 speeds in this line class.  I also like the 5:1 and 4:1 gear ratio of the 3/0 and 4/0 to do yo-yo and and high speed jigging.  The longer power handle is there to put more torque on the fish.  I guessed I like the old school ways of fishing by the like of Norm, Frank ,etc..

I'm a little confused as to why you think a "typical lever drag 2 speed in this line class" will have less line capacity than a 3/0 or 4/0. An Accurate 600 series, which is a nice 50 to 60 lb reel will hold over 600 yds of 65 lb 04 400 yds of 65 lb and 70 yds of 50 mono. How much more do you need? It has a 5:1 high gear and a 2,2:1 low. In the case of the Avet, the HX would be the 50-60 lb reel. Once again, 5:1 hi and 2:1 lo, and holds 670 yds of 80. Almost identical to a Penn 4/0 on line capacity

I guessed I was thinking more of the avet mx/jx/lx when I thought about the sizing.  Also the Makaira 10 was heavy and nice but kinda limited on line capacity too (i think 350-400 yrds 65 lbs braid).  The reason I like the 3/0 is that it felt very comfortable in my small hands all the while giving me a very generous line capacity 500+ yards of 65 lbs braid.  Most likely I would not fish 60 lbs on this but more like 50 lbs test.  I like having that extra 100+ yards on line in case a big fish start heading for the horizon.  Maybe just before getting spooled the fish tired out..:)

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

you'll be ok with the 3/0 but me personally will use my 4/0 "HEAVY HITTER" (3.25:1) spooled with 80 or 100 lb braid with a top shot of 50/60 lb mono or fluoro.

maxpowers

Quote from: Mel B on October 30, 2013, 05:57:54 PM
you'll be ok with the 3/0 but me personally will use my 4/0 "HEAVY HITTER" (3.25:1) spooled with 80 or 100 lb braid with a top shot of 50/60 lb mono or fluoro.

Yeah the 4/0 is the typical reel for this application but with the basically a SS gut and improved drags via Bryan's 5+1, tib frame and lee's longer arms with Alan's handle, it should performed close to or better than the stock 4/0 I think.

broschro

I would say better than a stock 4/0.I use my narrow tank to vertical jig and it has all the goods.I have caught several big amber jacks and cobia to forty pound's but one night something big grabbed the jig and ran for the gulfstream never to be seen.moral of the storey you can never have to big of a reel when you fish in the ocean.

otghoyt

This question and it baffled me for years was 1 or 2 speeds.  I agree 2 speeds get mixed up when adrenaline overrides your sensibilities.  I love to cast and rip jigs fast!  I even bottom fish the yo-yo.  Fast retrieve is the ticket for the bite but when you hook a forty or fifty pound tuna that fast gearing is overworking your arms and back.

I use Penn 505/6s stuffed full of stainless steel.  Double alternating drop SS dogs, ABEC 7s.  I have 250 yrds. of 65# P-Line and 125 yrds. top shot on the 506 and 250 plus 200 on the 505.  I have 30#, 40# and 50# spools for the quick change.  I use long 8' plus, fast action rods but the real deal here is the 5 plate CF/SS drags and the Reel E-Z crank arm!  I shorten the arm to rip my jigs after the hook-up and during the first 60 yard run, I lengthen the crank arm to max to be ready for the fight.

Gearing and leverage is my answer. One speed does it for me! Thanks guys, you all kicked in with knowledge and parts.  You are all my friends....well that is until were both casting, shoulder to shoulder on the bow.

I kept the crank orientation close to the same on the pics so the crank arm length is obvious.  Go get TUNA now!

MarkT

B, 2 speeds for me! I use them for 40# line and above. I even have an Avet SX Raptor that I use for 30# although 2 speed isn't necessary here. My HX Raptor isn't smaller than a Baja Special or 113H. I have 500 yds of 80# spectra plus 60# mono on top.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

MFB

No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

steelfish

Quote from: WOTHoyt on June 06, 2015, 10:15:06 PM
...... but the real deal here is the 5 plate CF/SS drags and the Reel E-Z crank arm!  I shorten the arm to rip my jigs after the hook-up and during the first 60 yard run, I lengthen the crank arm to max to be ready for the fight.

first time seeing this arm, where did you got it, where can i see it?
The Baja Guy

handi2

Quote from: WOTHoyt on June 06, 2015, 10:15:06 PM
This question and it baffled me for years was 1 or 2 speeds.  I agree 2 speeds get mixed up when adrenaline overrides your sensibilities.  I love to cast and rip jigs fast!  I even bottom fish the yo-yo.  Fast retrieve is the ticket for the bite but when you hook a forty or fifty pound tuna that fast gearing is overworking your arms and back.

I use Penn 505/6s stuffed full of stainless steel.  Double alternating drop SS dogs, ABEC 7s.  I have 250 yrds. of 65# P-Line and 125 yrds. top shot on the 506 and 250 plus 200 on the 505.  I have 30#, 40# and 50# spools for the quick change.  I use long 8' plus, fast action rods but the real deal here is the 5 plate CF/SS drags and the Reel E-Z crank arm!  I shorten the arm to rip my jigs after the hook-up and during the first 60 yard run, I lengthen the crank arm to max to be ready for the fight.

Gearing and leverage is my answer. One speed does it for me! Thanks guys, you all kicked in with knowledge and parts.  You are all my friends....well that is until were both casting, shoulder to shoulder on the bow.

I kept the crank orientation close to the same on the pics so the crank arm length is obvious.  Go get TUNA now!

Using the rods you do help greatly in catching these fish. That's the type rods I use.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

LTM

Two speed reel.

Eight foot plus rod with 50/60# line!! Max rod lenght for me is 6.5-7 foot, any thing more and your giving too much leverage to the fish with this heavy of line.

otghoyt

The crank is called "Reel E-Z" and I found one at Berinsons and another on e-bay.  They're out there and/or I have a new one for a Pfluger I will not be using. 

I can cast or use live bait with my 8' foot rod and it is easier on my back when I hook-up.  I have a lifter rod for stand up 60-80 pound line. I usually don't bring it with me and I rarely need it.  I target my fish and take what I need.  I Usually start with 30# and lures.  I switch up to 40# if the Captain is calling out bigger fish at a different depth.  50# line is at the upper limit of my rigs but truly, longer poles are easier on my back and on a larger fish the shock absorption of a long rod helps the line and drag.  Ask another old guy with a bad back and see what he says about longer poles.