Longer power handle vs 2 speed reels poll

Started by maxpowers, October 28, 2013, 11:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxpowers

Just a quick informal poll:

For 50 to 60 lbs test reel,  would you rather have for going offshore for pelagics (tuna 40-100 lbs class, wahoo, yellowtails) live bait fishing

a.  upgraded "tank-ed" 4/0, baja special, etc.. with longer power handle  (more line capacity, but heavier)

b.  2 speed avet/accurate/daiwa/penn/okuma (high / low gears, lighter but less line capacity)

Added a few qualifiers to make narrowing down the poll a bit easier.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Shark Hunter

Personally Max, I would fish a 114H. You never know what is going to bite the other end. For the money and the capacity. I think its hard to beat! I would spool it with straight 80. Just my  opinion.
Life is Good!

john2244

Up to 60# test line (fish up to 100#'s)  I like to fish with single speed reels with low gears.

John

Tunacious

In the 'real world'...with the equipment I have and your scenario of using 50/60 lb line:

50# line and pelagics up to 100# -  I've been using a 2-speed but will hopefully be tweaking away this winter so I can have a single speed if preferred for the conditions. If I used the single speed with 50#, the 2-speed 50# reel I've been using could move up to a 60# rig. Then, my current 2-speed 60# reel (see below) could be used as an 80# rig.

60# line and pelagics up to 100# - I've been using a 2-speed.

I like to have flexibility with my rigs. ;D

conchydong

I like 2 speeds when fishing 50lb on up, for live bait fishing. Other specialized applications may vary.

floating doc

I've never had a two speed reel. I'd like to try one for bottom fishing.
Central Florida

Newell Nut

I have fished with a couple of guys that used 2 speeds on the bottom and they lost a lot of fish and they were always in the wrong gear and got cut off before they could get them off the reef. One low speed for me and it brings up fish.

maxpowers

Let's me rephrased this a bit.  From an anchored boat and you are hooked up to a big BFT or home-guard Yellowtail (amberjack), would you rather have a "tank"-ed 3/0 (5:1 gear ratio) with power handle or a 2 speed reel like an avet JX or MX?

Alto Mare

we have many other penn single speed reels that fit the bill.
You need a single slow speed reel to bring in a monster.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

I hear the experience talking now! ;)
None of this," 2 speed avet/accurate/daiwa/penn/okuma"
Just old school penns! ;D

Life is Good!

Alto Mare

I just reread your question at the top, you're talking 40 to 100# fish, I thought you were talking monsters.
I believe the 3/0 tanked will do just fine, a power handle will definitely help here.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

maxpowers

The reason I asked this is because I like the extra line capacity that the 3/0 and 4/0 have over the typical lever drag 2 speeds in this line class.  I also like the 5:1 and 4:1 gear ratio of the 3/0 and 4/0 to do yo-yo and and high speed jigging.  The longer power handle is there to put more torque on the fish.  I guessed I like the old school ways of fishing by the like of Norm, Frank ,etc..

Bunnlevel Sharker

If you get an avet make sure and grease the reel seat good
Grayson Lanier

day0ne

Quote from: maxpowers on October 30, 2013, 01:24:22 AM
The reason I asked this is because I like the extra line capacity that the 3/0 and 4/0 have over the typical lever drag 2 speeds in this line class.  I also like the 5:1 and 4:1 gear ratio of the 3/0 and 4/0 to do yo-yo and and high speed jigging.  The longer power handle is there to put more torque on the fish.  I guessed I like the old school ways of fishing by the like of Norm, Frank ,etc..

I'm a little confused as to why you think a "typical lever drag 2 speed in this line class" will have less line capacity than a 3/0 or 4/0. An Accurate 600 series, which is a nice 50 to 60 lb reel will hold over 600 yds of 65 lb or 400 yds of 65 lb and 70 yds of 50 mono. How much more do you need? It has a 5:1 high gear and a 2,2:1 low. In the case of the Avet, the HX would be the 50-60 lb reel. Once again, 5:1 hi and 2:1 lo, and holds 670 yds of 80. Almost identical to a Penn 4/0 on line capacity
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter