How to remove

Started by Bunnlevel Sharker, October 29, 2013, 02:37:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunnlevel Sharker

Ok I decided that my lx will be my project, I can't trust avet on this. How do I get corroded reel foot screws and a right side bearing outer race out? Thanks guys. And will coke strip anodizing?
Grayson Lanier

Keta

Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on October 29, 2013, 02:37:57 AM
Ok I decided that my lx will be my project, I can't trust avet on this. How do I get corroded reel foot screws and a right side bearing outer race out? Thanks guys. And will coke strip anodizing?

Coke is highly acidic and will damage the anodizing.

Are the corroded base screws broken?

Make a rolling head bar out of a deck screw like in the photo below to remove the outer race.  
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bunnlevel Sharker

Nope not broken, just really corroded. It's soaking in hot water and dawn right now, I'm gonna try boiling water next
Grayson Lanier

Keta

Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on October 29, 2013, 03:09:38 AM
Nope not broken, just really corroded. It's soaking in hot water and dawn right now, I'm gonna try boiling water next

I like to use 50/50 acetone/ATF, tighten the screws slightly before trying to remove them, back out 1/2 turn then put a drop of the ATF/acetone on the end of the screws on the newly exposed thread, tighten the screws and then back them off 1 turn, when threads show below the screw head put ATF/Acetone on them and tighten, repeat until the screw is free.

Kroil is another good product for this.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

floating doc

I read a comparison of various products for freeing stuck fasteners. It appeared to me to be a well designed study. The ATF/acetone was easily the most effective.

I had friend recommend wintergreen rubbing alcohol one time. It worked well in that application, which was the seat post on an old bike I purchased at a police sale. Liquid wrench and a couple of other products had already failed, even with the application of heat.

My friend had advised me to wait overnight, but after two minutes the seat came loose so easily that I yanked it over my head on the first try. I nearly ended up on the floor.
Central Florida

Bunnlevel Sharker

Thanks keta, I am going on the hunt for some kroil tommorow, I can't budge the screws either direction
Grayson Lanier

day0ne

A Mercury mechanic turned me on to this years ago. I don't know if they still make it , but Mercury used to have a spray called Mercruiser Engine Cleaner. You sprayed it down the carburetor to get rid of carbon, etc. It would break loose any corrosion, etc. In fact, we used it on some tapered joints on prop shafts and it allowed us to change props without a puller. If you have ever tried to pull an inboard prop without a puller, you know how amazing this is.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Bunnlevel Sharker

PB BLASTER IS GOOD STUFF!!!!!! I bought a can and gave it a good soak then pulled all the screws no problem. The bearing on the right side of the spool shaft is rusted on, and the left plate is in the freezer. 50 dollar headache of corrosion
Grayson Lanier

DaBigOno

Make a rolling head bar out of a deck screw like in the photo below to remove the outer race.  
[/quote]

Lee, you're the Master SS guy,  would you be able to make this in stainless steel?  if so, how much?  i think i need one in my tool box.

Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on October 31, 2013, 12:00:39 AM
PB BLASTER IS GOOD STUFF!!!!!!

You're right, PB Blaster is good stuff.  we use it at the shop all day long, especially on exhaust systems.  just "spay, soak, spay, soak..."
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Keta

I could but it would have to be made out of 15-5 SS and expensive.  I can make a few out of screws if people want them.

Mark Twain

Bunnlevel Sharker

Well I tried everything and the bearing is still stuck. Soaking in PB blaster right now. I asked about a different bearing shape, and he said it would become a specialt item that I they changed it it would be impossible to get if discontinued. I am almost willing to pay someone to remove it for me if I can't get it
Grayson Lanier

DaBigOno

Hi Grayson,

Can you take a pic of what we are up against?

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

erikpowell

Hi Lee,

Good idea with the screw... did you just grind down the sides of the head to shape it like that?
Looks like a 3" or 4" right?

Keta

It was a 4" deck screw.  I beat the sides flat with a hammer and anvil, ground it to shape on my belt sander and finished it with a chainsaw file and small flat file.

Mark Twain

erikpowell

Lee,
Well, I have the hammer... and the a file  ;D ;D

and when I finally get my s**t together and send you that list of parts I bugged you about last month would you be able to make up a couple of those for me? .... if there's one thing i've learned living in the middle of the ocean... it's to have a spare EVERYTHING !  ;D ;D

I'll get that order together for ya soon.....sorry bout that...Fiji Time ... everyone's susceptible  ;)