Texas Flounder run

Started by saltydog, October 30, 2013, 12:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saltydog

Well just got back from a 2 day flounder trip to the coast and it was pretty slow. The cold weather warmed up and the flounder cooled down. The fish size is still on the small size but I think with a few more cold fronts the big uns will move in. I got my limit both days but the fish were on the small size 14.5 to 18.5 inches with about 5 small ones for every keeper.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

borchcl

Thanks for the report, Saltydog. I won't be able to get down there till late Nov., hope they are still going then. Had fun with them last Nov into Dec.
Charlie

broschro

November - April or May is the best time to target flounder offshore here in Florida's east coast. Catch um up.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

saltydog

The flounder last year got better in Nov. and Dec. they don't usually stop until January. The bigger ones will be around in a few weeks, making there run offshore.
MacArthur

Bunnlevel Sharker

I didn't even catch a nc flounder this year :-[ Well salty I wish you luck for the 15lb doormat!
Grayson Lanier

saltydog

If I get a 15# I will definitely make the paper, our state record is only a little over 13# but I know there is one out there, maybe this is my year. ;D ;D ;D I did do better than most of the others fishing but that was because I saw that the size was smaller than usual and downsized the lures I was using and slowed down the presentation which resulted in a higher catch ratio. It does pay to have a variety of lures available when you travel so that you can vary presentations to what the fish are doing at the moment.
MacArthur

borchcl

Saltydog,
What is your favorite lure for Flounder? I have just been using jigs and cut bait in the shallows near the jetties.

broschro

Mine is any kind of live fish that fits in the flounder's mouth  ;D

saltydog

I make my own rubber shrimp, curly tails, fluke, and a mullet lure. Then when it gets tough add a piece of mullet or any fish I can get in my cast net. Rigged with a 1/8 to 3/4 oz. jighead with a 3/0 to 5/0 hook.

MacArthur

borchcl

Thanks for the reply, Saltydog, there's always plastic in the tackle box, I be sure to try some this fall.
Charlie

saltydog

Gigging or spearing flounder is closed in Nov. and the only way to get your two a day is rod and reel. And you won't catch me diving in Texas waters, way to muddy and too many Bull sharks for my tastes.
MacArthur

saltydog

Well goin back down to Galveston for another flounder run, will let ya'll know how I did when I return. Looks like a chilly one, no more shorts gotta get out the jumpsuit.
MacArthur

HOLEINTHEWATER

A FRIEND OF MINE IS DOWN THERE RED FISHING THIS WEEK. CAN'T REMEMBER WHERE.