Penn Battle "slipping"

Started by thomasheng, October 30, 2013, 02:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasheng

I had a Penn Fierce before and after a lil over a year of use, it felt like the gears were slipping when I would turn the handle.  I made some sort of a clicking noise as if the two gears weren't touching all the way and slipping.

I went a bought a Penn Battle, and now after about 2 yrs of use, I'm starting to see the same signs. 

I always rinse my reels off after use and would oil it up every 3rd or 4th trip, but I would only remove the spool and oil that area.  I've never went further than that.

Any thoughts on the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Cone

Welcome Thomas! It sounds like you need to take off the side plate and take a look. I normally tear down all my spinners and make sure everything is greased well before I fish them. You can find a schematic here.  
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Spinning.aspx#Battle I don't know which model you have. The gears on the newer Penn spinners are more prone to corrosion and weaker than the brass gears of earlier models.
    Let us know what you find. If you need any help, give us a yell.
Bob

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Hadge

You say you oil the reel up, could you be getting oil into the drag washers?
Penn reels hold up very well, I would think your problem could be a simple fix.
Good luck
:)
Hadge

johndtuttle

This sort of slipping is rarely a gear or drag issue is almost always is the Anti-Reverse bearing slipping.

The usual culprit is corrosion as this prevents smooth and secure biting of the needles in the bearing into the shaft of the pinion/sleeve around the pinon. You can attempt rehabilitation of the AR by removing it and the pinion and flooding it with Corrosion-X and spinning the pinion inside of it to work the oil around the parts. This will likely lead to rusty appearing oil seeping out. Run a rag through it several times twisting the rag in alternating directions to work the corrosion-x all around the rollers.

When the oil returns clear the bearing may return to smooth function. If the corrosion has gotten too bad it will never be reliable again and will have to be replaced.

It's just the way it is with an ARB. Those and the line roller bearings require eternal vigilance (esp around salt water) to maintain proper function and longevity.

best