Tips for learning to cast a conventional reel

Started by Three se7ens, October 31, 2013, 05:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three se7ens

I grew up with spinning reels, but I have come to appreciate casting reels, at least in theory.  There have advantages in some situations, and I'd like to be able to use them effectively. I've practiced a bit, but I'm still having a hard time.  I have an okuma cortez 5 loaded with 50 lb braid that gives me fits, despite the mag cast control. On the other hand, I don't have nearly as much trouble with backlashes casting my okuma cavalla 15 loaded with 80 lb hollow braid.

Anyone have any tips or pointers for learning how to cast these reels effectively?  Does heavier line make it easier to learn?  How about mono instead of braid?

maxpowers

If you can get a hold of a Newell, it is the best reel to learn how to cast.  Mono will definitely be easier for you to cast.  On my P229, I can cast a surface iron using an 8' jig stick quite a way out there.  Also star drags typically are easier to cast then lever drags.  On the penn jigmasters and newells I tend to turn my hand 90 degrees downward once the line start going out.  Just the old habit of making sure the spool rides on away from the main gears.  Seems to allow the lines to come out nicer and the spool to spin nicely..

CapeFish

Quote from: Three se7ens on October 31, 2013, 05:20:13 AM
I grew up with spinning reels, but I have come to appreciate casting reels, at least in theory.  There have advantages in some situations, and I'd like to be able to use them effectively. I've practiced a bit, but I'm still having a hard time.  I have an okuma cortez 5 loaded with 50 lb braid that gives me fits, despite the mag cast control. On the other hand, I don't have nearly as much trouble with backlashes casting my okuma cavalla 15 loaded with 80 lb hollow braid.

Anyone have any tips or pointers for learning how to cast these reels effectively?  Does heavier line make it easier to learn?  How about mono instead of braid?
Daft question perhaps, but are you casting from a boat? the rod set up is very important and the correct weight to load rod and get the reel going. Also start with mono, not braid.

Robert Janssen

Pull off say, 70 yards of line from the spool. Wrap some tape around the remaing line on the spool. Rewind those 70 yards and cast.

This isn't going to help your casting at all. It just makes your birdsnests a lot smaller and easier to fix while you learn.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

CapeFish

Quote from: Robert Janssen on October 31, 2013, 07:13:52 AM
Pull off say, 70 yards of line from the spool. Wrap some tape around the remaing line on the spool. Rewind those 70 yards and cast.

This isn't going to help your casting at all. It just makes your birdsnests a lot smaller and easier to fix while you learn.

That is a very clever idea

Bunnlevel Sharker

He nailed it, and if your cast goes further it pops the tape off, also heavily cross winding the 50yds on top will help. Put a mono topshot on, heavier bearing oil, and more mags are always great options
Grayson Lanier

Keta

X2
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Three se7ens

Quote from: CapeFish on October 31, 2013, 06:30:23 AM

Daft question perhaps, but are you casting from a boat? the rod set up is very important and the correct weight to load rod and get the reel going. Also start with mono, not braid.

I mainly fish from a boat, so long distance casting isn't necessary.  The rod is a 6'6" medium heavy jigging rid rated for 1-6 oz lures, it has a slow action and bends pretty easy.   That's the rod I have the star drag Cortez on, and this is the combo I'm more interested in casting. The cavalla gets used only live abut fishing offshore.

That's a great tip about taping the spool. I'll do that and add 75 yds or so of mono on top. Is 20-25 lb a good choice?

Makule

Initially, use a "heavy thumb" as you are letting the line fly on the cast.  Make sure you have enough water on the line to prevent your thumb from burning.  As you get to the point where you don't have any backlash when the line stops, gradually lessen the pressure on the line.  By this, I mean:  On cast #1, hold fairly tight when you "release".  Do not try to get distance.  Keep doing that until you have zero backlash.  Then, on cast #10, hold a bit less pressure on the thumb when you "release".  Keep doing that until you don't have any backlash.  On cast #20, hold a bit less presser and repeat.  Repeat the sequence of reducing the thumb pressure until you are at the point where you have very little backlash and are able to control even your longest cast.  Do not try to get distance.  Learn to control the line first.  Once you can do that, distance can then be achieved.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Ron Jones

As it happens, I am in the middle of teaching my 2 daughters how to do this. I always try to break the steps down. It feels totally different holding a spool still as opposed to holding your thumb on the line of a spinner, So start with just swinging the rod while your thumb holds the line. After that you can start easing off the spool and letting it spin. Start with redicoulously short casts (like 5 yards) and work up. If there is any overrun at all then continue casting at that distance until you can completly control the spool. With an experienced caster it shouldn't take more than an hour or so to get to fishing distance.

Concerning the gear; I recomend mono, it is just more forgiving. Use a reel with no ball bearings and use reel grease on the bushings. Try to find a spool that will allow your thumb to comfortably reach the top of the spool without distorting your grip, for me that is a 3/0 Penn and if there is any reel that I recomend as a casting learner it would be the Penn 60 / 2/0 / 85 etc. that uses the chromed brass 29-85 spool. With that rig and your rod you should be able to get to where you can cast a 3 oz bait as far as you need to off a boat in just a few days if you are willing to work on it.

Above all start casting and keep at it. I've been fly lining anchovies for over 30 years. I can cast a good ways with any rig but I am still no where near at the point where I know everything or am casting as good as I want.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bunnlevel Sharker

Grayson Lanier

philaroman

as far as taping the spool, or ANYTHING on a fishing reel/rod, I'm a big fan of non-adhesive/self-adhering silicone (Tommy Tape, Plumber's Wrap, etc.) -- the stuff sticks only to itself through surface tension; NO STICKY GLUE to gum up your line, or "migrate" to unwanted places...  a little sunshine & friction can make the glue on adhesive tapes travel to all sorts of places where you don't want it

Bunnlevel Sharker

Grayson Lanier

LTM

3-7's,

Mono for sure; I wouldnt go lighter than 15-20#. Use the tape if you want. Get a spray bottle of water to wet the line on the reel well, this is for the line more than your thumb. Dry mono is hard and has memory (coils) which inhibit casting, dont forget to wet line periodically. Before casting; lower your casting plug (whatever your using to practice casting with) to a point between your last guide and the reel. Lean the rod back to the 10 o'clock position and release at the 2 o'clock position. Follow the casting plug to the ground/water with the tip of your rod and apply thumb brake when it lands on ground/water. I would set my reel up with some resistance on the spool to assist your currently uneducated thumb. Start out with short casts; as you progress to longer casts use your thumb to feather the spool to control spool speed to prevent over-run. Keep your eyes on the lure from start to finish (safety/learning). Be as fluid as possible throughout your cast, and rotate the reel counter clockwise in your cast until when finished casting the reel is almost upside down in the 7/8 o'clock position away from the gear side of the reel. Remember casting a jig/lure is different than casting live/dead bait fish. You can literally "whip" a lure in casting; whereas this will tear the hook from the flesh of bait. When casting bait you want a fluid pendulum style of cast. Once you develop proffency casting then start casting for accuracy into whaterver is handy (buckets, trash cans,lids, evern cups) and dont forget to periodically wet the line (if your casting on land). When my nephews were little (6-8 yrs old) they could cast better than most of my adult friends who would come fishing with us. A reel that you can COMFORTABLY hold and manipulate is essential to this whole "learning to cast" equation. Dont forget to check out some Youtube video's as well. BTW, this is just overhand casting; there's underhand (good for short distance's), side arm and more.

Hope this helps,

Leo