Need advice on a small bottom fishing reel

Started by Russ57, April 09, 2010, 05:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ57

Looking for a basic simple and rugged bottom fishing reel.  Something along the same basic size as the old newell 220 (250 yards of 25# mono would be max size).  I need a good drag but nothing fancy otherwise.  Fairly light weight is desired.  I don't want one with an anti-reverse bearing.  I don't like the idea of a cast frame.  Must be built for long life in salt water with a minimum of maintenance.  Doesn't need to be able to cast but that never hurts.

A little bitty baja special would be ideal.

akfish

Sounds like you need a Penn Senator 112H. Virtually bulletproof, cheap and easy to work on.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

CarolinaCustomReels

Either that or one of the old red-plate Jigmasters.

Evan

Norcal Pescador

"The most important thing you can do to maintain your reel is to service it when it is brand new.  The mantra is greased carbon fiber drag washers, spool bearings that are open and lightly lubed, level wind assemblies that are lightly lubed, non-spool bearings that are packed with grease, grease on all the screws and a light coat of grease on all the non-exposed surfaces.  Do a thorough job the first time and your reel should last for years." - from Alan's Pacific Coast Sportfishing blog.

If you buy a new reel, heed the above advice. My new Penn 113H had dry drag washers, apparently no grease on the screws (it looked and felt like they used blue Loctite on the left sideplate screws), and it looked like red Loctite on the eccentric screw (key #22). After addressing those issues, I'm now more confident in the reel.

Good luck with your search.

Rob
(Bottom fishing with a Jigmaster.)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Semper Fish

I have a two word (and one number) answer for you: Penn Squidder 146. Robust, simple design; easy take down for cleaning and maintenance; parts are readily available. You should be able to get a very nice one for $60-$70, delivered, from ebay......even Alan has a rebuild tutorial on the 146 (yes, the PURPLE 146 known from coast to coast!)....that should tell you something!
Mine is my favorite reel. I use it (in NJ) for everything from blackfish, ling and seabass to stripers and the occasional bluefish.

akfish

The Squidder 146 is a sweet reel. However, it has a slow (3 to 1) retrieve compared to a 112H of Jigmaster (both have 4 to 1), and dime size drag washers whereas the 112H ad Jigmaster have quarter size drag washers.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

a higher gear ratio means a larger main gear, and a larger main gear means a larger drag washer.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CooldadE

I have two 112H reels with Tiburon frames and greased drags and they are great. Look what I caught while bottom fishing !
g]
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

CooldadE

I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Phinaddict

Uh, not trying to sound like a jerk.... but how about a Newell 220 or 322? Low maintenance, big drags, simple and dependable.... Im just sayin'..............
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

Jimmer

Would you be interested in a mint Penn 111 senator 2/0? Email me if you are I've got one I have to part with.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Russ57

Thanks guys.  A 112H is bigger/heavier than I want.  Newell 220 or 229 is fine, just a little concerned over the future of the company.  What do y'all think about the penn 310GT2?

Bryan Young

Quote from: Russ57 on April 13, 2010, 02:59:08 PM
Thanks guys.  A 112H is bigger/heavier than I want.  Newell 220 or 229 is fine, just a little concerned over the future of the company.  What do y'all think about the penn 310GT2?
Will you be running spectra, dacron, or mono?  What line test?  How deep will you be fishing?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

akfish

The weight of a 310 is very close to a 112H because the 112H doesn't have the level wind mechanism. you should be aware too that parts for the 310 are quite expensive compared to the other GTi series. I'm not sure why that's the case, but it is. (You can see the relative prices at MysticParts.com.) I think the real issue between these two reels is whether you want a level wind or not.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska