Ocean Odyssey trip to the Outerbanks

Started by heckrazr, November 02, 2013, 02:30:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heckrazr

We unfortunately threw back more good fish than we caught originally.  Found great kelp paddies chock full of yellowtail....and more paddies chock ful....and more....and more....but no tuna. Overall a great trip with excellent weather and fun times.
Maui is where the heart and soul belong.....very soon

spottybastard

That looks like quite a trip.  How many days was it?

heckrazr

floating doc

Central Florida

Shark Hunter

At least you were catching something! ;) Looks like Fun!
Thanks for Sharing.
Life is Good!

saltydog

Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

heckrazr

The boat was the Ocean Odyssey out of H&M Landing in San Diego.  This was to be their last 1 1/2 day trip of the season.  We shoved off at about 7pm on Wed evening. Had 15 anglers total on a very large boat meaning there was tons of room for everyone.  Headed to the Outerbanks area and into Mexican waters.  Started trolling at sun up.  I brought my own trolling rigs and lures but only tried 1, cuz it worked.  I'll try to post a pic of the setup.  Got nothing trolling initially but found kelp paddys galore.  We had sardine, anchovy and some incredible greenbacks for live bait. First cast on the paddy netted the first yellowtail to get things started.  I need to get one of those video setups that Allan has to catch the action with.  First paddy about an hour long bite.  Started trolling again and found another paddy, another hour bite.  We did this for most of the day.  Hit limits on yellowtail so went searching for bluefin. More paddys with more yellowtail, but progressively getting much bigger. Had limits so it was just catch and release at this point.  Apparently I can outcast anyone on the boat using my squidder and 8ft boat rod.  I kept hearing people say they've never seen anyone cast as far (and with no nests) as I do. (It's all about practice). We released so many great fish it broke my heart... but so be it. Great crew with awesome food and Captain.  Had an incredible time and next season will plan something a little earlier. A coupla pics of a couple trolling rigs I used.

floating doc

Thanks for the details.  I didn't know that there is an area known as the outer banks on the west coast. I only have heard the term used in reference to the barrier islands of North Carolina.
Central Florida

Ron Jones

In So Cal, San Dog specifically, anything that is a Bank that is farther than about 50 miles and in the direction of Mexico is an "Outer Bank". A lot of guys don't think their there until the pass a point called "Butterfly" where I've done really good in the past, but some skippers call places a little closer the Outer Banks. It really just tells the guys they have a long ride out to the fish.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

floating doc

Central Florida

spottybastard

There is also the Tanner Bank and Cortez Bank.  Those are fished for yellow tail and tuna very late summer into the fall.  They are south west of San Clemente island.

Bunnlevel Sharker

Nice trip! The outer banks had me a little confused at first, I'd never seen a yellow tail from nc!
Grayson Lanier

floating doc

Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on November 04, 2013, 04:14:16 AM
Nice trip! The outer banks had me a little confused at first, I'd never seen a yellow tail from nc!

I couldn't see the fish very well on my phone. l was trying to decide if they were bluefish but the forks in the tails weren't right. ???
Central Florida

Bunnlevel Sharker

Yeah it threw me of to, i was thinkin thats alot of wierd lookin AJs or somethin
Grayson Lanier