12/0 parts reel to functioning one

Started by Shark Hunter, November 03, 2013, 02:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

It gets Better! Evidently the stand is made from the factory for a 117 stand as well. I have an old stand. Now I just need another 33-116 instead of 33-117. The bolts are a full 1/2" wider than any of my other 12/0's.

116 vs 117 clamp.
Life is Good!

broadway

...and the hits keep on rollin'!
You have definitely paid the price for going modern on that antique ;)
It'll just make it that much sweeter when you catch that monster you're in search of.
Nice job and way to stick with it.
Dom

Shark Hunter

Thanks for cheering me on Dom! I will win this battle! ;)
The price factor hasn't been that much more than a used 12/0 one piece spool. Its just the unforeseen problems that you run into. I'm down to the rings and the clamp, so that should pretty much be it! ::)
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Is it just me? or is the price of Senator parts going up at Scotts? $33.80 for a 12/0 clamp! ???
Anybody have one to trade for a 14/16/0 clamp?
Life is Good!

floating doc

Wow, that's a lot for a clamp!  Must be all the electronics and moving parts!  :)
Central Florida

Shark Hunter

The Battle is about over finally. Different rings, right clamp and stand and a brace. I tried to get parts with some patina on them to give this old reel a functioning look. I did well on the parts. $5 for the clamp, $16 for all four rings and $13 for the brace.

The rings seemed to fit a little better, but the outside handle one still didn't look right. A sanding drum on the dremel around the outside edge of the plate remedied this.

All Done! This was the rod with the crooked Gimbal. An Okiaya 130 to 160lb Boss Hoss as its called.
I would stay away from these. It was a gift from the wife, so I am going to give it a try. I did what Harry K advised and heated the gimbal with a torch  and turned it straight. Worked like a charm! I drilled a small hole and tapped a roll pin in for insurance.

Ready to Rock! For real this time! Thanks for Watching! ;)
Life is Good!

floating doc

Thanks for sharing this.  I've enjoyed the ride. Good restoration!
Central Florida

George4741

Very nice!  I love the counterbalanced handle.
Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 10, 2013, 12:55:59 PM
This was the rod with the crooked Gimbal. An Okiaya 130 to 160lb Boss Hoss as its called.
I would stay away from these.
Why?
viurem lliures o morirem

Shark Hunter

I will stay away from anything with the Okiaya name. This rod had a crooked gimbal, meaning if you put it in the fighting belt, it was not straight. Two of the rollers were tightened down so tight they wouldn't move and were not fun getting loose. My Wife bought this off Amazon. The same seller is on ebay with the Name "Okiaya". I contacted him about it. Since I couldn't touch him on ebay, he didn't seem to care and admitted these were factory seconds. This rod is now called El Gordo instead of the Boss Hoss.
I think he knew he was selling Junk, and did it anyway. Why would they let a rod out of the Factory that they knew was Junk? ::) I can just envision this thing snapping with a big fish on. We will see.
I hate to taint my post with this rant, but I think you guys should know. ;)
Life is Good!

broadway

Congrats on the finale of this project... time to get a sharkin'!
Dom

Bunnlevel Sharker

As long as it's solid glass it will be fine
Grayson Lanier

Shark Hunter

I don't think its solid glass. I think its hollow.
Life is Good!

Bunnlevel Sharker

Just do a Sal style test and report back
Grayson Lanier

Shark Hunter

One little tidbit I left out in case anybody is crazy as me to attempt this. The older 116's have a different handle screw as well. Instead of the usual one, it is the same size as the 114H.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

I'm thinking  98-114AT should work on the 6/0 - 9/0 - 10/0 and 12/0, might just need a little filing on the dogs and the correct sleeve in the main gear.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.