12/0 parts reel to functioning one

Started by Shark Hunter, November 03, 2013, 02:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Well, I finally got all the parts I needed to fix this old reel. Being a little wiser, I knew exactly what I needed this time. A one piece spool, bearing side plates, bearings, a new clicker assy and all new screws.

I went with the e-clip clicker, I had a little trouble getting the clicker ring right, It had been distorted from the old clicker turning. a little patience and some needle nose pliers got it working again.

New 7 stack Ht-100's and washer kit from Scott's.

The old rings don't want to seat all the way. Guess, I'm not done yet. I got this reel for $100. I gave away the three piece spool to RkyMtnKurt. Another $100, some elbow grease and chrome polish and she is ready to Rock!
Life is Good!

floating doc

Nice work! It's good to see the old reel brought back to life.
Central Florida

Shark Hunter

Thanks Doc!
I really like the one piece spool and the counter balanced Handle. I just scored a complete set of rings for 16 bucks off fleabay. Hopefully they will fit better. You can see from the last pic that the rings aren't seating properly. I'm not sure what the deal is with the older rings not fitting right on the newer plates.
Life is Good!

Bunnlevel Sharker

They might have distorted or somethin, remeber Daron there older than you!
Grayson Lanier

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

bluefish69

That was my question of which one is older

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

kermits

It is usually not a distortion of the rings causing the tight rings, rather the side plates absorb grease, salt and other impurities causing them to swell. That results in the tight and often cracked rings. There is really nothing you can do to correct that process and new rings usually don't fit any better than the old ones.

Alto Mare

Some believe that it is caused by the swelling of the plates, rings on older reels are a hair smaller, nothing that a small flat safe edge file won't fix. I hear of some using heat and freezer, I just use a file, but only had to do it once. :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bunnlevel Sharker

Quote from: kermits on November 04, 2013, 01:48:34 AM
It is usually not a distortion of the rings causing the tight rings, rather the side plates absorb grease, salt and other impurities causing them to swell. That results in the tight and often cracked rings. There is really nothing you can do to correct that process and new rings usually don't fit any better than the old ones.
He had new plates but old rings is the thing
Grayson Lanier

Shark Hunter

I think you are correct on that Sal about the older rings being a tad smaller. I thought I had this project licked other than the rings, but ran into another snafu. I picked the reel up today to enjoy the fruits of my labor and noticed another problem. The eccentric seemed to engage just fine last night, but I never applied enough drag to set the stack and feel the pressure from line being pulled off. When I cranked down the star it just seemed to slip and you could feel a definite grinding going on inside.
Upon further inspection, the pinion wasn't sliding down on the spool.

Another problem trying to mate a 60 year old reel to current production parts. The spool looked to be fine, As did the pinion, but rather than grind on a new spool, I took a diamond file to the pinion until it would slide all the way onto the spool.

This project has been an undertaking and I wanted to try and do something I haven't seen before. So others can do this if they decide to upgrade an older 3 pieces spool to a current one.
I just kept my cool and patiently filed and buffed the pinion to fit and thought of the big Sharks I am going to catch with this 60 year old reel! ;)
Life is Good!

floating doc

That's really great!  In it's own way it's like the guys that keep old cars or airplanes in service,  something that I really admire.
Central Florida

Ron Jones

Quote from: floating doc on November 04, 2013, 04:41:10 AM
That's really great!  In it's own way it's like the guys that keep old cars or airplanes in service,  something that I really admire.

I'd say it is exactly like keeping old cars and planes going. It is the only way to do things in my book. I'll put the price of a new reel into an old one and swap a new engine into my car before I buy something off the showroom!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 04, 2013, 03:57:32 AM
This project has been an undertaking and I wanted to try and do something I haven't seen before. So others can do this if they decide to upgrade an older 3 pieces spool to a current one.
I just kept my cool and patiently filed and buffed the pinion to fit and thought of the big Sharks I am going to catch with this 60 year old reel! ;)

Those types of problems will make you a better repairman ;).
Where did you get that multiple drawes parts box in the back?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

floating doc

Quote from: noyb72 on November 04, 2013, 05:48:50 AM
Quote from: floating doc on November 04, 2013, 04:41:10 AM

I'd say it is exactly like keeping old cars and planes going. It is the only way to do things in my book. I'll put the price of a new reel into an old one and swap a new engine into my car before I buy something off the showroom!
Ron

I'm with you on the engine swaps. I've done that on some of my cars over the years.

With all of the electronics I'm not so tempted to do that any more. When that stuff goes bad it's time to move on.
Central Florida

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 04, 2013, 10:50:10 AM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 04, 2013, 03:57:32 AM

Those types of problems will make you a better repairman ;).
Where did you get that multiple drawes parts box in the back?
Its a Plano 757
I have had it over 25 years. It has been a tackle box, and numerous other hobbies throughout the years, Model Rocketry, Remote Control Nitro pit box. I think it has found its final purpose.
My Uncle use to make fun of it, and called it my sewing box.
He has a Plano that folded out on both sides and made three levels. He tipped it over one day in the boat. I said, don't you wish you had a sewing box Now! :D
Life is Good!