Jigmaster on Steroids

Started by Roger, April 09, 2010, 10:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger

At least that's what it reminds me of......

Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

Semper Fish

Wow !!! Those are 2 SWEET looking reels....are either of them looking for a good home?

alantani

roger, you are definitely going to need a stainless steel gear sleeve for that jigmaster.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Roger

Actually, I was comparing the Baja Special to the jigmaster after turning down the harness lugs and turning the handle forward. Anyhow the jigmaster already has a steel gear sleeve and Newell gears. I've also magged it which has worked out pretty good. One of these days I'm gonna find a 99 frame and spool for it. Cheap I hope, ha ha........
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

daddyhoit

How did you mag it, I have ten jigmasters between me and my sons and am trying to figure out how to upgrade the drags to 113 size. thank you for any info-Greg

alantani

actually, you can't.  long ago there was a "mag" side plate for the jigmaster that was made by accurate.  what it really involved was taking a penn 113h senator and putting the guts into a "jigmaster mag" side plate.  you find the same thing in a progear reel. 

Roger

Here's how I did mine. I found this article and tried it out. It took some playing around with the little organic magnets but it does work. I've though about doing it to a 500S because it would be easier to take the left sideplate off to add or subtract the magnets.

How to Mag a Jigmaster
Below are pretty simple steps on how to mag a Penn Jigmaster 500L. The same principles and techniques hold true for essentially all similar Penn reels such as the Long Beaches, 113's, Surfmasters, Beachmasters, etc. The levelwinds, such as the 109, 209, 309, as well as the Squidder and Penn 350 Leveline require different techniques. An aluminum spool, while not totally essential, will give you the best results. More mags will be required for the chrome plated brass spool, and if you have the maroon bakelite/plastic spool...don't even bother, although it can be done if you add an aluminum disk. Trust me, though...it's not worth the trouble. Just invest $20 - $25 or so bucks for an aluminum spool and go from there. I've even magged a cheap Penn 85 and it's one of my favorites. The aluminum spool for that is pretty hard to find though. Nothing to it, really. Happy Magging!!!

1. First Pic shows the reel...a Penn 500L Jigmaster that has been "Newellized" with Newell Crossbars and reel base.

2. Next is the left (clicker side) sideplate removed. Make sure, using lighter fluid, acetone, or other appropriate solvent, to remove ALL grease/oil from the area where the washers will be epoxied.

3. Pic depicting three Lee Valley 3/8" washers and mags. Remove any oil/grease from washers as well.

4. Epoxy washers in place inside the sideplate, leaving sufficient clearance between the spool flange and side of the endplate, as well as clearance between the clicker spring and washers so there is no interference, AND clearance between the washers so these strong magnets don't attract each other.

5. Place the magnets on the washers, alternating the polarity between +/-/+. There is no need to glue/epoxy the magnets onto the washers, as they will stay by themselves. There are three stacks of 1/4 X 1/10 magnets here...two per stack. This will also allow you the flexibility to remove magnets as your casting skills increase, or add as conditions worsen (strong headwinds, etc.).

Reassemble the left sideplate onto the frame, making sure there is sufficient clearance and that the reel operates smoothly. There you have it...ready to fish!!!

Roger

Norcal Pescador

Looks good Roger. But, if there aren't magnets or some other iron on the spool, how do three magnets on the side plate work to control the speed? ???
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Roger

Don't need 'em on the spool.It'll work with either an aluminum or with the chromed brass spools. It won't work with a plastic spool. The spinning spool along with the magnets create their own magnetic field. It's called Lenz's Law

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5iNtOh-CSo&feature=related
Roger

Norcal Pescador

Rob

landingcrewman

If your are worried about spool speed while casting isn't that what your thumb for?? ;D It also matters how well you reel in the line before the next cast. charkbait.com in Huntington Beach sells tiburon 99 frames/spools. If you like the Baja special (narrow 4/0)you will really love the narrow 500. The 505 has bearings versus the bushings, even more of a diffrence.

alantani

someone mention frames?  look what bryan found in my garage!

landingcrewman

WoW can i be your neighbor and borrow some and never bring them back. like my neighbor did w/my lawn mower ;D ;D ;)

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: alantani on January 08, 2011, 07:48:41 PM
someone mention frames?  look what bryan found in my garage!

Can't wait for the inventory list!!! :o :o :o
Rob

Bryan Young

I'll start working on it the next time I'm at Alan's.  Sorry, I decided to work on my PG251 the last time I was there since expert advise was right there.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D