Shimano Tiagra 50WLRSA service and mods

Started by mcquamic, November 04, 2013, 01:02:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcquamic

Hi Guys new to this site and very new to Blue water game fishing. Competed in the Lizard Island Marlin classic this year and ended up catching a 300 lb black ;D
Friends boat I fish off use two Tiagra 130lb setups but I have opted to use a 50wlrsa with a custom cape cod rod made from a giant blank and a black magic equalizer harness. The 50 is loaded with 1000 yards of Tasline 130lb braid (breaks at 180lb) and a 100 yard 180lb mono topshot. Run about 37lb of drag at strike and not too sure what max is (maybe around 50). Anyway read a few threads on this site like this one on service and running max drag http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1355.0 and plan to do the same to my reel now.
I don't want any more drag but realise I am probably pushing this reel to its limits especially if I hook something 1000lb plus (think the current record is 1440lb).
After reading the angular contact bearing mod for the new Okuma Makaira http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6771.0 I was wondering if adding angular contact bearings or roller thrust bearings might make the Shimano a bit more reliable at high drag settings or does the Shimano setup have less issue's with side forces on the bearings than the Makaira or Avet reels?

Bunnlevel Sharker

Your on a boat, chase him down. The reel should be fine, just pump and wind
Grayson Lanier

alantani

the annular contact bearing will likely not add that much to your reel.  it sounds like your reels already performs to the level needed.   one of the things i've found helpful is to actually keep records of the actual measured drag settings that you've used in previous encounters  if, say, 35 pounds of drag worked, then you're good.  if it did not, then how much did you actually need?  45 pounds?  maybe 50?  higher drag settings will bring a fish to the boat faster, but it also stresses every link in that chain between you and that fish.  too much, and something will give. 

it actually sounds like you have a winning combination already.  i think that keeping logs of your catch, along with specs on the reels and how they were set up, will either confirm that you are doing this right, or more quickly indentify weak links.  these notes that you keep, and the time spent getting more familiar with the insides of your reels, can only make you a better fisherman. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mcquamic

Yeah was a rough day that day so never went past strike on the fish. Only pulled maybe 100-150lb of line. Sounds like I should spend less time worrying and more fishing.  Thanks for the replies.

alantani

youre catching fish, so you're obviously doing something right!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!