Andros 5II help

Started by SoCal Redneck, November 04, 2013, 03:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCal Redneck

I was just cleaning up my Andros after completing it's first Albacore season in which it's become my favorite live bait reel.  It's functioned flawlessly up until now.  I noticed that in the strike position it had little to no drag and much much more while in the full position.  I can't say how it functioned on the last trip due to we actually got skunked, but hey it's almost November.  When I first started using it, I had the drag set at about 9lbs at strike and i believe it was about 15-16lbs at full using a drag scale.  Now it's measuring 2lbs at strike and 16 lbs at full.  ??? ???

Any idea on what could cause this?  I don't think anybody messed with my drag setting( I fish with almost the same crew every trip) but ya never know what happens when you're not looking.  Other than the very light drag at strike, it seems and feels like everything else is fine.  I was about to give it the AlanTani tune up between seasons so I was ready to dig into it anyway, but this is a first for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. ;D 

Tiddlerbasher

When you slowly push the drag lever from strike to full does the drag increase gradually. Or does it suddenly go from nearly nothing to max almost instantly?
If it's the former your preset could have been moved. If it's the latter it could be a problem with the belleviles (disc springs) at the left hand side of the spool assembly.
They can sometimes get slightly flattened or crack (although, that's only ever happened once to me!).

alantani

that is the type of problem that i would expect from a cam that has been badly worn down, but that would only be expected from decades of use.  tear it down and take a look.  something is hanging up somewhere. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCal Redneck

I will pull it apart tonight and check the bellville washers.  When I opened it up the other day everything seemed really clean, but I didn't pull the the spool/shaft apart and look it over closely.   It has only seen 1 season of albacore fishing.

It seems the final ramp of the drag really tightens down and when I adjusted the drag setting to be 9lbs at strike, it still measured 21-22lbs at full and you can feel the resistance when turning the handle at that drag setting.  will see what the Bellvilles show me tonight and report.

thanks

Tiddlerbasher

At 20lbs+ I would expect to feel some resistance when cranking the handle - Its a lever drag reel  :-\

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on November 06, 2013, 01:52:17 AM
At 20lbs+ I would expect to feel some resistance when cranking the handle - Its a lever drag reel  :-\

Yes but with the reel set at 9 lbs at strike he should not be getting 21 lbs at full. I agree with Alan it sounds like a cam issue. Make sure there is nothing under the cam and it is seated correctly first.

wallacewt

could it be something as simple as drag lever not  back in free spool before re-assembling?

Tiddlerbasher

The Boss is usually right.

alantani

it's just that the cam's almost never go bad. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCal Redneck

pulled it apart.  everything looks good...well at least it was.   :(    pulled it apart and the bellvilles looked good, nothing jamming them up and they were ()().  when I reassembled everything I somehow allowed the dogs to come loose...well crap..bent one, but actually was able to straighten it back out.  I remember the tutorial saying be careful with these..well I now know I can get them back in ok.  The whole time I was thinking...awe man, I just screwd up my favorite reel. :D

Reel is back together correctly now and still 8lbs at strike and about 20lbs at full. ???   The spool bearing next to the bellvilles, is that supposed to come off the shaft?  It would slide, but wouldn't slide over where the C clip was supposed to go.  Just wasn't sure about that. 

SoCal Redneck

checked the cam...cleaned, light coat of grease.  9lbs of drag at strike and 20-21 at full.    Left a message with okuma a few days ago, no response yet. 

the good news is...I finally did the full service to my reel.  complete with cals drag grease and TSI lubricant.  Now if I can get the drag straight. 

I normally fish 30lb test short flouro leader with this reel. 

paal

Nice to have that lube job done :)

If I understand this correctly, your'e getting about 5lbs more drag at full, when the preset is adjusted for the same drag at strike as when the reel was new? Or, if the full drag is the same as before, you're only getting a couple of lbs of drag at strike?

If the drag washer and cam is OK, then the next thing to check are the bellevilles. Are they '()()'? If so, maybe they got messed up and you should get new ones. I'd do that anyways, can't cost much :)

wallacewt

hi socal redneck
my fav reel,any up date