Question? 5000D Remove spring assembly for plate that holds the pinion gear?

Started by T Rad, November 05, 2013, 04:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Rad

As folks sometimes say when drowning, help! I would like to remove the plate that holds the the pinion gear so I can polish under the plate on my old 74 5000D. I push on the small end of the pin that goes through the spring but nothing slides. I CAN manage to bend the mount if I push too hard. I'm sure it is not a make or break part of breaking down the reel and polishing everything out, but I would still like to get it done. Suggestions?
"The one who thinks he knows a thing does not yet know it as he should."-- The Apostle Paul. "Illegitimis non carborundum." — General Joseph Stillwell

GulfOfBothnia

There is tiny (really tiny indeed) c-clip that holds the pin. Take a close look inside the "spring box" (not sure how it should be called) and you should see the clip. Once you pop c-clip out you can slide the pin out.
Then spring comes out easily.

Putting assembly back can be painful... but can be done.

T Rad

I remember seeing a warning from someone somewhere that if you take that spring out you will regret it, but here we go! Thanks a great deal. If I am going to learn to do the job I want it to be right!
"The one who thinks he knows a thing does not yet know it as he should."-- The Apostle Paul. "Illegitimis non carborundum." — General Joseph Stillwell

Ken_D

Try here:    http://www.nutterrodandreel.com/pdf/Abu%20Garcia/old/5000d%20760804.PDF

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=796.0

You could also prop up the pinion yoke with something, and polish it that way with the dremel, and a cotton wheel in emery compound.  You will not be happy with the re-assembly if you take the yoke spring out.

T Rad

OK, that's twice I've been warned so I won't do it. A good cleaning and decreasing, prop up the yoke and polish what you can. I'm glad i found my old Dremel tool. Thank goodness it's one of the variable speed models. Ken, thanks a great deal for the links and the advice! TR