Winter Weather on the North Eastern Boats

Started by mrbrklyn, November 08, 2013, 11:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrklyn

I love fishing and even in winter off the boats, but I hate being cold.  I've had lot's of winter activity over the years, biking and camping, but standing on the boat fishing seems to be a whole other kind of activity since there is little heat being built up by exercise.  I've biked in blizzards and the boat is colder, even in 40 degree weather.

So I'm trying to figure out what would be best to do.  I am using my waterproof snowboots, but clothing is next.  They don't give you plain English measurments such as "tested to 20 degrees below zero", like sleeping bags and boots do.

What do you think about this?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Frabill-Ice-Fishing-Suit/1096904.uts   ?

I'm concern about sizing.  I'm only 5'6 nd 38 inches at the waste  (which is too much).  Those suites are sized for 5'8 to 6'2.  And I can't find a vendor in NYC.

Bunnlevel Sharker

Honestley if it's a big boat then I would wear my canvas duck huntin waders, with long johns and sweat pants underneath, then a long sleeve, then sweatshirt, then carhart jacket plus toboggan
Grayson Lanier

Keta

Part of the problem is moisture, try wool or poly.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

LTM

A great deal of heat is lost from the neck, head, hands and feet. I use/enjoy "smartwool" products. Their socks, long sleeve undershirts and such. I also use the knit wool "buff" head wear. I find it imperative to trap air around my body for my body to heat up and keep me warm. Not only do I wear the smartwool socks but I use the excellent "superfeet" insoles to cushion my feet from hours of rail time but to add as an insulation layer as well. I also have a hely hansen foul weather suit that breathes quite well while keeping me relatively dry during the rain on boats. Im bald so I also wear "mountain hardware" polar fleece beanies to keep my head nice and warm.  I also will use my leggings and arm warmers from my cycling days and have been tempted to wear my wool full legged cycling thingy (you know) under my hely hansen foul weather suit. Wool is the key for me.

Hope this helps.

Leo