Fort Morgan, AL 11/09/13

Started by ChileRelleno, November 10, 2013, 02:16:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

Took the first ferry across the bay...  Yada, yada, yada.

Another cold morning with a lot of wind, and it did nothing but get better as the day progressed.
By mid afternoon, it was damned nice!  And the Reds were slamming mullet & shrimp on the incoming tide.
We had a total of nine people in our group, and eight Reds went in the coolers.
We caught & released another seven or more.
There were also some more Puppy drum today, Gafftops, Hardheads and Southern rays.
No sharks to be seen.

My son Nathaniel landed his personal best Red, 37" - 21#14oz.

Jason's son CJ caught his very first Bull Red.
A few that Jason caught

Some of mine

Larry and his two grandsons got theirs.
Adam & Stacy did too.
We'll see if they send me pics.

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

ChileRelleno

Also, had fun with the 9500SS today  ::)
Was reeling in to freshen the bait, and it seemed to bind up.
Handle didn't want to turn and the rotor not turn freely... WTH?
Pop the spool off and the rotor is loose/wobbly, oh lookey, the fraggin rotor nut came completely off.
I know I torqued that down last time I had it apart.
Then I couldn't get the pinion gear to pop up high enough to get the nut on the threads, and make the fix easy.
**** Surfside Surgery ****
My buddy Jason was amazed that I had tools in one tackle box and the knowledge to open it up and fix it.

It performed flawlessly the rest of the day.
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Alto Mare

That's a known fact on those, put a drop of blue Loctite being careful not to get it all over and you should be set.
Don't use the red Loctite on any reels.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

John, Bull reds are fun to catch. Sal's right. The rotor nut is one of the few places locktite should be used on a reel. Great pics.   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

ChileRelleno

Never had a problem before this, lucky I guess.
Heck, I never knew about this being a problem, now I know.
Thanks guys, I will pull'em all and Loctite them.
Ragnar Benson:

Alto Mare

Quote from: ChileRelleno on November 11, 2013, 02:26:49 AM
Never had a problem before this, lucky I guess.
It doesn't happen to all John, but why take a chance when all you need is a drop of Loctite.
Next time you service those, place a drop of Loctite on the dog screw as well and set them aside while you continue with your cleaning.
don't put Loctite on the screw and install it at the same time, too much will cause friction with the dog...unless you're very careful not to add too much. Again, all you need is a drop of medium strength, not permanent.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.