Penn 112 and 112H

Started by wish I was fishing, April 12, 2010, 11:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wish I was fishing

Does anyone know if the spools from the  112 and 112h are interchangeable?
Thanks Dave
Nothing makes a fish BIGGER than almost being caught! .

akfish

They are not; if you see them up close, they are actually very different.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

wish I was fishing

Saved me buying one that won't fit
Many thanks
Dave

Irish Jigger

The 3/0 112 spool is 2 7/16" wide and the 3/0 112H spool is 5/16" less at 2 1/8" wide.

The 112H aluminium spool is available (new)in the UK at £12.

BTW guys I am looking for a 112h chrome spool (29M-112H) new or in good condition. Please PM if you have one for sale.

wish I was fishing

Hi Irish Jigger

Where in the uk can I get an aluminium  spool? That would tide me over till I can get chrome one
There are a few chrome on Ebay overseas but silly money once you factor in shipping and
I get clobbered by the nice people at customs everytime at the moment!!  :(

Regards

Dave

akfish

Just curious: Why do you want a chrome spool? The aluminum spool is lighter and stronger, and the chrome spools had problems with mono...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Irish Jigger

Hi Dave,
           Phone Mick Simmons 01386 552949. He has one in stock @£18 (Gone up since I last bought one.)

Regards,
           I/Jigger. 

Irish Jigger

Quote from: akfish on April 13, 2010, 03:29:22 AM
Just curious: Why do you want a chrome spool? The aluminum spool is lighter and stronger, and the chrome spools had problems with mono...
We fish quite deep water in Ireland using dacron on the 3/0, 4/0 and 6/0 Special Senators and find the metal spools very durable.We do not use these reels for casting so the metal spools suffice.

They do suffer chrome loss if stored with wet line for long periods although it is not a problem apart from appearance.

The aluminium spools corrode quite badly if similarly stored.

I use a Dyneema Braid on the 112H without issues although I would not recommend fishing with ultra thin braids on these reels as I know they can get inside the spool.

We too have had issues with mono distorting metal spools on  9/0 Senators when fishing for skate in deep water.

Great reels and very popular in the UK and Ireland.

wish I was fishing

Quote from: Irish Jigger on April 13, 2010, 08:47:47 AM
Hi Dave,
           Phone Mick Simmons 01386 552949. He has one in stock @£18 (Gone up since I last bought one.)

Regards,
           I/Jigger. 

Many thanks, he sorted me out a spool, a really nice guy too

Dave

Irish Jigger

Glad you are sorted,he really is very helpful and carries a great range of Penn spares.

akfish

Many people in Alaska fish almost daily and leave their tackle on the boat. This makes corrosion a serious issue. But it can be avoided by religiously rinsing the reel in freshwater after every trip. This is especially important if you are using Dacron or braided spectra because both can hold saltwater in the texture of the line. I keep a spray bottle of Salt-X on the boat and rinse the reel -- being sure to soak the line-- and have found that corrosion is almost nonexistent -- even with aluminum Penn spools. Plain water works almost as well as Salt-X. If you can't get the chrome or cast brass spool you want, you'll get good service from an aluminum spool if you keep it clean. It's even better if you apply Corrosinon-X or Boeshild to the spool before filling it with line but you really don't need to. Just keep the line flushed with freshwater.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Irish Jigger

Thank's akfish,some very good advice there,shall take it on board. Managed to pick up a chrome brass spool locally this week. They are selling on Ebay at $49.99+ $50 shipping to the UK which is way above what I am prepared to pay when I can buy an aluminium spool locally for $28 and as you say there are ok if properly looked after.