Strdic ci4 plus - oil or grease?

Started by Chase106, November 11, 2013, 08:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chase106

Hi, i have the new Stradic ci4+ 2500, and i have the oil in the box.

This reel don't need grease at all? I ask to know if i need to buy grease or not. If i need grease, what is commanded for this reel?

Cone

Chase, I admit to owning on or two Shimano's in my life. I don't own a new Stradic. The box normally comes with a bottle of oil and a bag with shim washers for adjusting line lay on the spool. The gears have grease on them. I normally open my reels up and grease everything. I put a thin coat inside on the gears and may even pack the bearings with grease. The grease in the bearings will make it a little harder to crank but you won't have to change out rusty bearings as often. The carbon fiber body doesn't have to be greased but I still do it. Grease the screws and check the drag washers. If it has felt washers a set of carbon fiber washers from Smooth drag is a good investment.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

LTM

Chas, check out the Shimano rebuild section or the spinning real tutorial section (whatever the case may be). You be given detailed info on procedure. There are lengthy posts on lubrication which basically come down to the Tani method which most of us subscribe to. Read Alans posts on lubrication and you wont go wrong. Lubricate your new reel BEFORE you fish it. A good friend was over while I was cleaning some guns and read a Glock pamphlet which stated to clean and lube firearm when new BEFORE shooting it as well.  Not just for fishing reels as we do here.

Leo