Went camping this past weekend at "Smoking Rock"

Started by Makule, November 13, 2013, 05:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makule

Haven't gone for too long, and finally got to go.  Went to a place called, "Smoking Rock", so named because the spray makes the rock look as if smoke is rising from it.  It was very calm and the wind (which is usually very strong) was mild (no "smoke").  Here are some images.

The island where we fish from.

On the island.

The "bridge" that we use to get on the island.

It is very deep right in from of the island.  There is a shallower reef on the left, but as you can see, off that reef (where we cast) is deep.  I estimate it to be maybe 70' right off the island and it rapidly slopes so that at about 100 yards out, it's probably 200 feet deep.

I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Bryan Young

So that's where that is. I've seen many pictures of guys fishing out there...thinking they are nuts.  It can get pretty bad out there, but it doesn't stop the locals from fishing out there even in bad weather with waves crashing over that rock head.  Mahalo and stay safe out there.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Makule

1)  The fish are either in the ocean or in my stomach;
2)  This is near the southern-most tip of the US, on the island of Hawaii;
3)  The place looks worse than it really is.  Due to the depth, there are no rolling waves, just swells that go up and down.  Lots of spray and some splashes, normally, but this was an exceptionally calm and windless period.  Lots of people fish here, and lots of fish have come up here, including very large  ulua (122.5 lb came up about a month ago), ahi, mahimahi, smaller reef fish, etc.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Bunnlevel Sharker

Grayson Lanier