REAR DRAG SHIMANO SPINNING REELS

Started by LTM, November 14, 2013, 02:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Dawn,

Do you carry drag sets for rear drag shimano spinning reels (1000 size) with two small diameter (forgot to measure od) but with approx 0.90mm thickness and two thinner hard black in color washers approx 0.65 mm thickness? These are older reels.

Leo

philaroman

damn good question...  if it helps:

• 2000-size & smaller should all be the same (not sure about 2500 -- may depend on model)
  • OD/ID is the main concern -- I don't think that thickness matters all that much.  thinner is actually better, if you have a pile of spare metal washers -- I've played around with thin, worn-out original washers & "doubled up" for a marked improvement.  In short, the total height of the drag stack is not set in stone -- there's room for variation
  • DISCLAIMER:  I don't really care for rear-drags, UNLESS it's Shimano rear Fightin' Drag with the "nudge" lever, so all I know is limited to that family of reels.  I'm sure the same applies to the plain dial rear-drag Shimano's, but that's an educated guess -- not, experience!!!

alantani

uggghhhhh!  leo, a spinner???!!!  and rear drag spinner at that???    ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

Once I switched from Mitchel 300s to Shimano graphite spinners, I wouldn't use a reel without a fightin' drag. Haven't used one in a long time, but wouldn't mind hot rodding one for giggles.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

philaroman

Quote from: alantani on November 14, 2013, 05:25:59 AM
uggghhhhh!  leo, a spinner???!!!  and rear drag spinner at that???    ;D

yeah, rear-drag spinners have puny, choppy drags & are way too big/heavy for their respective line-class...  HOWEVER, they have their place!!!

Let's say, you want to cast light lures w/ light line; you want to balance an extra-long light rod; and you really like to fiddle with the drag, while playing a fish (I do).  In that scenario, a Fightin' Drag Shimano works better than anything else -- extremely user-friendly, albeit distinctly unfriendly to maintenance/repair.  If you can deal with the cluster-headache of servicing a grossly overcomplicated reel, keep an eye out for an affordable rear-drag JDM Biomaster.  I grabbed a mint, older 2500LS on eBay for $65 & it puts all US models to shame -- it's the PERFECT reel for a 9'+ light Steelhead rod w/ 4-6# mono, or 5-10# braid...  my only complaint, is that I can't read the Japanese paperwork, LOL.  Also, there are Euro/Aussie versions of rear-drag Biomaster/Stradic that are a notch above the top US model (Symetre).

The US models are less precise/refined, but the Fightin' Drag lever seems to have a wider range.  There's a certain "sweet spot" on the main rear-drag dial, where the Fightin' Drag lever set to left/min. lets the fish run & slamming it to the right/max. lets you set the hook & begin the battle...  i.e., you can use them as poor-man's UL Baitrunners.  Small genuine Baitrunners in the 150-300 size are old, low-tech, rare, EXPENSIVE collectibles...  like 500% more $$$ than a comparable Fightin' Drag you could use w/ equal success.

Dawn

Leo, I'd need exact measurements, or the old drags.

Dawn
Dawn

LTM

Yeah guys a rear spinner. Its old and perfect for my application. I use it with a "one-of" 8"-2" 4-6# spinner, spooled with 135 yds of 6# for surf/rock-hopping fishing for corbina/surf perch/spotted bay bass. The spinner has NO BEARINGS to clean or worry about in regards to sand intrusion so in a sense its perfect for getting splashed with waves. It ws given to me decades ago along with the "one-of" rod above.

Dawn, if you say measure the drags then there may be a glimmer of hope. I'll call you with my measurements. And if stacking is a possibility the great.

Thanx,

Leo

philaroman

Quote from: LTM on November 15, 2013, 12:56:23 PM
...And if stacking is a possibility the great.

Thanx,

Leo

pretty sure the old Shimano rear-drag washers are cloth (like baitcasters) -- a reel w/ thin, worn-out cloth washers may well have room for an extra steel/cloth layer.  I did that, at least once; it was a tight fit; lost a little range at the low end; gained a little high end & smoothness...  not sure how it would work w/ CF, but if you're getting custom-cut, anyeay -- might as well get an extra & try it (wost case scenario, you'll have a spare)

philaroman

P.S.,

1) the cloth drag washers fray at the edges with age/wear, so measure the metal ones for OD/ID

2) the metal washers are probably much thicker than they need to be -- if you cab get thinner steel in the same shipment w/ CF, you're gold for stacking