First post - Is there a cure?

Started by Rud, November 18, 2013, 04:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rud

Thanks Alan & everyone else – these tutorials & insight/tips & tricks are exceptional. I'm coming from a freshwater & spinning reel background so my knowledge of Penn conventional is/was limited. The last time I used a conventional reel was in the late 50's while river fishing. Now I've got a problem. It began when my 90 yr old neighbor gave me her late husband's tackle some time ago. They'd been stored for 30 (?) years and it showed (wish I had taken "before" pics). Anyway, I found this site and decided to take the plunge (I hate seeing a nice piece of machinery corroded and not working). The tutorials guided me through their tear down & cleanup following the "Alan" method.

Reels after cleanup

Max's tackle box

The Problem:
I planned to just clean these up and get rid of them. Now, I've purchased a couple parts, some HT100's from Scott's, a dog spring off Ebay and some carbontex drag washers from Dawn. Ok, that wasn't too bad; I can control myself.

Then, today I was dialing in the 146 frame & bearings and before you know it I'm researching Newell spools, Tiburon & Accu frames & reading posts about double dogs. I've even contemplated trying out a couple of these reels in the local waters.
AccccK! Where on this site is the toll free number for reelholics anonymous. Is there a cure for this problem?

Pat
Pat

Jimmer

No 12 step program here Pat, just sit back and enjoy it!
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

welcome to the "neighborhood"... a cure? maybe a "life sentence"  ;) ;D. btw you lucky dawggggggggggg!  ;D

Cone

Welcome to Mr. Tani's asylum for the reely insane! I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy it!  ;)  ;D  ;D  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

erikpowell

Pat you scored! Nice collection...especially with the boxes intact.

What the heck is that reel in the left column, 3rd one down??  Is that an electric attachment on it?

....btw... BULA & welcome!

harryk3616

welcome, looks like your addicted already and don't know it. just enjoy, hours of relaxation and gratification, clean them up, admire them or use them.  oh,  no cure, sorry

Shark Hunter

Welcome Rud!
Its too late Buddy! Enjoy the ride! ;)
Life is Good!

Robert Janssen

Powerhouse Transmission. Bolt-on mechanical accelerator, similar to the Reel Deal. Multiplies gear ratio.

Rud

Quote from: Robert Janssen on November 19, 2013, 01:33:33 AM
Powerhouse Transmission. Bolt-on mechanical accelerator, similar to the Reel Deal. Multiplies gear ratio.

Correct - (I've read them about on a couple of forums)

By the way - maybe you guys can clear up the mystery of what reel it's mounted on. It's the same size as a Jigmaster 500 but there are no markings on either sideplate. The guts were the same as a Jiggy though. Were sideplates available with no markings?

Pat

DaBigOno

Aloha Pat,

by the picture that you posted with the Powerhouuse transmission,  it looks like a Penn Jigmaster 500 that's missing its sticker.  I haven't seen too many of them.  In fact, i only have one in my collection of Jigmasters.

Here are a couple of pics of my reel with that sticker that sits in a recessed part of the side plate.

and a close up shot of that sticker

I hope this helps to identify your reel...

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rud

Dabigono - that's it - mine has the little circular indentation in exactly the same place as yours.
Pat