SCREWED

Started by BMITCH, November 15, 2013, 11:47:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MFB

Just a thought

http://www.noblefix.com/PDF/Helicoil/HeliCoil-Professional-Kit.pdf

I have used helicoils on carbs, chainsaws & a few other things. Have never fitted ones this small before though. Hope you have good eyes. I wouldn't recommend running a coarse tap into a fine thread of the same diameter.

Rgds

Mark   
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Ron Jones

Helicoils are fantastic, of course. But I wonder if there is a concern of galvanic action between the stainless and aluminum in salt water?

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

BMITCH

The helicoils I've done before( only 5mm) this is small. I wouldn't trust them over time as Ron said.
luck is the residue of design.

Cone

Bob, I did tap a frame out to 8-32. It holds fine. I would like to caution you the tap needs to be straight. Preferably you would use a taper then a plug and then a bottom tap. I would try it out on something like an old post to satisfy its to your liking. Send me your address and I'll send you a post already tapped out.
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Ron Jones

Looking at a Heli-Coil flyer, they make phosphor bronze inserts for salt water applications. These and stainless screws would be the absolute correct answer.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"